A-GPS (downloading almanac and ephemeris from Internet) possible?

Hi, is there any way to inject almanac and ephemerides information to the ublox chip via internet? We have devices which generally operate in poorly covered areas and they’re even expected to be stored cold for weeks or months and then we want them operable as soon as possible.

I’ve noticed downloading the assistance data in poorly covered areas might be very lengthy - and what’s worse - it’s unpredictable. Se we’d want to provide the data in a predictable way.

The Reach M+ units do not have access to internet, but there is a device on usb1 that has Internet access and can ssh into the unit. Or it can bridge a specific port between the unit and Internet.

I’ve seen ublox offers AssistNow. Would that work? Has anyone tried? Maybe using this tutorial? Getting u-blox MAX-7C GPS to work with Assisted A-GPS · GitHub .

Thanks for help.

I’ve tried the linked script, but the biggest problem I see is that it’s not possible to write to the tty of UBLOX:

$ ls -la /dev/ttyUBLOX 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Apr 20 01:58 /dev/ttyUBLOX -> ttyUSB1
$ ls -la /dev/ttyUSB1  
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Apr 20 01:59 /dev/ttyUSB1
$ groups
reach spiuser

So this seems to be a dead end… ?

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.