3DR SOLO with REACH

Nice setup! Hotshoe tagging with reach can work with pixhawk-based systems to get precise geotagging.
http://tuffwing.com/support/reach_geotag_event_hot_shoe_cable.html
http://tuffwing.com/support/Reach_precision_gps_ppk_setup.html

Only problem with solo is the CAM_FEEDBACK feature was not added until APM:Copter3.4, and solo is stuck on a modified version of APM:Copter3.3. So the Solo has no way of logging precision camera fire times.

If anyone knows of a way to do this with the Reach, or another way to do this, please do share!

1 Like

Sorry for the long absence everyone, I had to put my SOLO/REACH RTK project on hold for a few months while Iā€™ve been focusing more on the workflows of the data after its captured. Weā€™ve been producing some amazing quality models with the Sony a6000 onboard the Solo and the sites I been flying had some great GCPā€™s and therefore didnā€™t require RTK. So Iā€™ve been developing workflows for exploring the captured data along with design data in VR/AR/MR with the HTC Vive and HoloLens.
For those interested in the a6000 mount, Iā€™m happy to share the files for printing in its current prototype state (version 0.7) and happy to get feedback while I work up to something worthy of being a Version 1.0! The other thing I hadnā€™t shared earlier is I had designed a base station for the REACH module which is also fully 3D printed. (Refer images).
However now with the newly launched Reach RS I think I might retire that design at V0.4 and run with the RS (If I can still get one at the launch price that is?)

9 Likes

Great design !
Do you share the model of second picture ?

That is one mean design! Good job!
Please share the 3d printer file Simon!
Thanks in advance

1 Like

UMC-R10C_TM_C388100111.pdf (1.5 MB)

I use reach on my solo too! Would love the STL for the base you have

@Barry_McCreadie do you know of any way to purchase the SONY R10C?? I was under the impression it wasnā€™t a consumer product and was developed by Sony with/for 3DR?

@Scott_Walls @jmiranda @Sylvain_POULAIN sure thing, happy to share them. I just need to make some minor changes to the base of the base station first though. Iā€™ve noticed that after 5 months the thin base has warped slightly during the fluctuating temperatures over summer. So for V0.5 Iā€™ll add some ribs to give it extra strength.
Iā€™ve optimized all parts on both the camera mount and base station to be printed without the need for any supports, so easy to print on any printer.

3 Likes

Hi all. How long is the flight 3DR on one battery with the A6000? I want to buy solo for 3DR mapping to replace the Phantom 2. I will be glad to receive any information about the 3dr.

Not sure if that has been exclusively developed. I can get them as i am a reseller. They cost double what the QX1 does.

@Barry_McCreadie thatā€™s great news. Where are you based? Iā€™ll have to check if any Sony dealers here in New Zealand can get them. If not then I might have to see if I could get one through you to do some testing to compare with the a6000.

Simon, no worries, I am in the UK, shipping may be a prohibitive factor! I am expecting some feedback on stock this week. But i have to mention that for Kiwis we charge 4 times the price, just because your rugby team is so annoyingly good.

Iā€™m interested in the a6000 mount print file as well.

I recommend you to check Sony A6000 Manual to get great and complete information about Camera Shutter Triggering for Sony MultiPort Connectors using Seagull #MAP.

@Barry_McCreadie Has there been more development for consumer commercialization of the R10C? Or is it possible to get one in Canada?

@Yorke Did you received the R10C? Have you made some test? Also, if possible, I would be really happy to get the 3D printing plans for the a6000 support and for the Reach.

Cheers

Alex, it has been quite a journey, and i have still get one landed on my desk, they are asking heaps of questionsā€¦i didnā€™t expect this. I will get an update this week for sure.

2 Likes

Hey Barry

Any updates? Iā€™d also like to see if they can be had without committing to the whole 3DR ā€œexperienceā€

@Yorke Simon Yorke I would be interested in the A6000 mount files as well.

I think Barry may have been assassinated

I would be interested in a copy of the file for the A6000 mount if youā€™re willing to provide it. Also, did you ever incorporate the Maxtena antenna into your setup? If so, where did you end up getting it from. Thanks, Steve