3D printing Navio2 Vibration Plates Problem

I download the the top vibration plate for the RaspberryPi/Navio2 drone from
hardware/VibroNavio2top_rev_A.STL at master · emlid/hardware · GitHub
I imported it into Cura (Slicer software). I notice the plate is in the vertical position. I assume this is how it has to be 3D printed. I sliced it, then printed the plate in my Coccon Create Touch 3D printer using PLA filament.
The vertical printed plate is OK BUT it has a lot of extra material (PLA). I assume this extra material is needed to support the plate while being printed in the vertical position.
The problem is when I try to remove this extra material I destroy the plate especially in the well where the shocker absorber goes. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
The literature implies 3D printing the vibration plates is simply and straight forward but for me it has been a very frustrating process.
Any help or advice would be grateful received.
Regards Frank

Printing a flat part vertically is never going to give great results, simply because the layer lines will make the plate very flimsy. It should take almost no force to snap it in half.

Printing it flat would be the best course of action but since there are protrusions on both sides, this will require a massive support structure.

So this is a case of trial and error. Try printing it flat with supports and see how it goes. I’m betting you won’t destroy the part while removing supports as much as printed vertically. There is also a third option: I would redesign the part so that what I assume are PCB standoffs become a separate part that can be press-fit in the plate. This requires more work but since the STEP files are provided it can be done without having to recreate the entire thing from scratch.

In either case vertical or flat you will need plenty of support material for that print. Unfortunately support material is an essential part of the 3D printing process. It looks like a lot of material but if you weigh it does not add many grams.

In cura you can easily rotate your object in either position. Usually you want the largest force on the part acting 90 degrees to the layering direction for maximum strength.

Since this is a flight item you will need to make personal choices on weight vs strength. Increasing shell thickness will increase durability and strength but add extra weight to your drone.

Thank you for replying to me. Using Cura I rotated the plate till it was flat then I printed it.
Because of the PCB standoffs the printer had to build a support structure but it turned out it wasn’t to difficult to remove after printing. I now have a pretty good plate which I am very happy about.
Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice. I am new to 3D printing and I assumed because the plate came in a vertical position it had to be printed vertically.
Kind Regards Frank

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I printed it flat and it worked. I am new to 3 D printing, but learning fast with the replies I have received in this forum. Once again thank you for your help and advice.
Kind Regards Frank

2 Likes

Its a fun tool! I used to pay my friend to print me 3D items until he go a job in the city and moved. So I had to get a machine fast, lol. They become extremely useful very quickly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.