2-piece GNNS rover rod, go or no go?

What are You guys recommendations on a 2-piece 2x1 meter GNSS rod for a rover?
How is the repeatability when taken apart and reassembled?

Any specific recommendations?

I would stick with aluminum for a 2-piece, but we always use snap-lock. Carbon fiber are nice, but crack easily and in my opinion aren’t worth the money. Snap-locks come in either a multiple height snap or just the 2-meter snap. We also have to keep track of tip wear. It surprising how quickly they wear down…

Here’s what I usually hand out.

Don’t forget the bipod and tripod attachements.

1 Like

I have a couple screw-type two piece rods and the main issue I’ve seen is with the screw itself. One rod has seen some damage from students cross-threading the pole. That particular pole still works but the threads have way more play. The rubber o-ring enables a relatively tight fit, but since the thread tolerance is looser than before, the pole can get loose over a long session.

Snap-lock telescopic poles are probably safer. As for carbon poles, I spent 3 years in school with snap-lock carbon poles and I can’t recall anyone damaging a pole while I was there. And those poles went out almost everyday with the users being kids barely out of high school.

Overall, I’m happy with the cheap chinese poles I bought, and I even ordered a 4 piece pole recently (the idea is to have a super compact and light pole that I could carry on remote points where I have to hike in, bringing only 2 pieces of the pole).

2 Likes

Many thanks, both!
Does the snap-lock poles have hard stops as certain interval? Like the telescopic, where you insert the pin at certain intervals.

Also, can You point to I nice bipod? I have an AdirPro right now, and it works, but I would something where I don’t have to hold onto the legs when I move the pole, as they will just “hold on” to the ground and extend.

The snap-lock have spring loaded button that pop out at each set of holes or just the 2-meter if that is the one you choose. I had no need for multiple levels. I then a screw down ring above the bubble level that keeps it from moving once snapped. The bipod I have came with a bracket the slide onto the bottom of the main rod with two smaller semi-circles for the bipod legs to snap into. Maybe you can just buy that part?

1 Like

I forgot about this conversation, but while I don’t have a suggestion for a bipod, maybe it would pique your interest: I’m thinking of designing and 3D printing a small clamp that could go on the pole and from which I could string 3 small steel wires to stakes or rocks. If I can lower the carry bulk and have something decently stable in moderate winds, I’ll come back with testing results.

4 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.