Noisy barometer?

I made a test flight some time ago. Noticed a strange behavior of the altimeter - sporadically changing altitude and a bit of a noise in the data. Reviewed the log and I see a lot of spikes in the altitude graph - most of them are going down to -400 meter, some go high several thousand meters. Result is that I receive error position vertical variance or similar.
What could be the problem? I had such problem from the beginning since I received the board (Navio2), but was not so often. Now it becomes worse. With that noise in the readings, my copter would crash some day I guess…
Attached is the log file.
2016-11-04 14-15-43.bin (7.6 MB)

@toncho did you cover the baro with a foam? Could you please share a photo of your setup?

It is covered, yes. Black foam to repell any light.
Here is my setup - Compass, heading and yaw performance problems

Do this happen when copter is on the ground?

Could you please run the baro example (when ArduCopter is not running) and see if the problems occurs too:
https://docs.emlid.com/navio2/Navio-dev/barometer-ms5611/

It happens all the time. When on the ground, it accumulates a small error in the value - when such spike occurs, it changes the altitude rapidly by two or three meters. I guess, it would compensate this error during flight by altering the current altitude. I have not checked the log for the GPS readings.
I cannot perform this test right now, will keep in touch.

We had same issue. Its because Navio2 UART port cause a some kind of interference to barometer. Use USB port to plug telemetry instead of UART port.

@toncho

Hello there! Any update, progress or tips on this one?

Also interested. Our next build is not using uart. But I’ll pay more attention to baro data. We have a clean pressure reference inside brainbox with no foam required.

[quote=“Amila, post:6, topic:4504, full:true”]
We had same issue. Its because Navio2 UART port cause a some kind of interference to barometer. Use USB port to plug telemetry instead of UART port.
[/quote]Would you explain how, please? I have never used the USB ports… :innocent:

I decided to not use this board anymore. Sorry, guys, a good idea, but there is still a lot to work on. For now, I am flying with a pixhauk and do not have any issues.
Nothing personal!