WINGED RPAS - RO1-OPEN C2 /3Dmapping/PPK ready !WORK LOG!

YAYY

aircat

Just dropping a bunch of pictures here, they speak for them selfs i think.
But so far i hooked up 3dr radios and succesfully connected to mission planer and done the mandatory things for the radio and the calibration.

The next big reveal is the camera. I got a couple of the Samsung NX100 cheap from ebay along with the prime 30mm lense which is the better one in that production line. This camera had all i was looking for and it was cheap (90$) on Ebay.
It had jackplug for triggering and hotshoe to log presice timestamp on Reach.
Well, it all turned out well almost, made trigger cable out of TRRS or TRS jack plug and hooked it to the navio2 with the settings used as you can see from the screenshot down below.
To trigger camera i used GND and IO18 on the uart.
Now, for the hotshoe sync part, Samsung nx100 stops syncing and out this signal to the hotshoe X-aync terminals with shutterspeed faster then 1/180. Above this Reach will NOT record any events with THIS camera, so i have two options,

1.Roll over and give up NX and get a different camera
or
2.Investigate other options with the NX100.

Now, i could still trigger camera in air with missionplanner and map the old fashion style with a bunch of GCP and make the orthomap accurate that way without Reach, but for now this is plan B or C… Maybe D :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Since 1/180 shutterspeed is way to slow for 15-20 m/s air speed (the pictures gets to blurry etc), the plane would move 11cm with 1/180 shutter and a speed of 20 m/s. I need a least 1/500 or faster to freeze the image enough i think. 1/500 (2 millisecond) shutter would move the scene 4cm or the plane move 4cm in this time.

So, going for option nr.2 and digg into what options remain left for me and this plane.
I got the triggering thing working and was thinking if i got the offset dead on (the time when the trigger is pushed to picture is taken) i could apply time offset and ad a delay when signal is to trigger event on Reach.

@emlid, i call on you to see if this is a doable feature?
Is it possible to add a millisecond +/- offsett to WHEN an event is triggered in Reach, base on incomming puls on the GND and Time Mark pin?
If so, there would be alot easier for those camerea without hotshoe and a part less in the whole setup.
It would depend on the camera, it need somewhat stabel shutter lag (respons time). But i do think most mirrorless cameras with focus hold has fairly good spec in this area.

Anyways and i am propably missing something, so please speak out you know of any hickups i might run into about this offset.

Next, how to determined shutterlag down to a millisecond??? I have few ideas, but i need to open a new thread for that. Update this post with link.

Well, i think thats it for now. Enjoy

3 Likes