When to use static or kinematic?

I have a reach base and rover set up according to the quick start guide. Inside the RTK setting tab of the Reach app, should I select Static on my base reach since it is not moving and Kinematic on the rover reach since it is? I did not see this covered in the quick start guide.

Also in RTKLIB RTKPOST software for post processing, under Setting1, there is a place to select either Kinematic or Static. If my above assumption is right which do I select since I have the base and rover with Static and Kinematic respectively?

Normally you specify the base coordinate (or let it average one for itself). In either case the base coordinate is predetermined. That means you do not need to keep a position log on the base unit. You can turn it off if you want, and that means the Kinematic/Static settings are not used. Keep the raw log enabled though, in case you want to do some post-processing with it.

On the rover though, you should select Kinematic if it is moving and Static if it is stationary. Keep the position log, the base corrections log, and the raw log all enabled.

So, the Kinematic/Static setting only has an effect on your position files (.pos). When you are post-processing, you are using the raw log (or a raw log that has been converted to RINEX). This raw information has not been processed yet. This gives you a totally separate and different opportunity to select Kinematic or Static for the post-processing you are about to do. It is your choice which to pick depending on if you had a moving rover or a stationary one.

I should have asked you first: Are you doing RTK (real-time work)? Or are you doing PPK (post-processing work)?

Of course the K stands for Kinematic, but you could substitute S for Static.

Thanks for explaining that. I am doing post processing only for now

A different perspective.
If you select static, then you put a HUGE dampener on the calculations and optimise the algorithm to expect that the station does not move. Great for getting a fixed solution quickly in ideal conditions, but can result in a false lock taking a long time to resolve. Try this. Set to static and get a good fix, then just move the antenna 2 metres. It will take forever to move to the new location.

Kinematic mode allows movement and for the majority of the day to day work, setting out, fixing multiple points it is the mode you would use. If you want a 24 hour station fixed to the +/1 few mm then static.

4 Likes

Then you are only using data that comes from the raw log. So, in ReachView RTK settings tab, you should just pay attention to selections which affect the raw log like satellite systems and the frequency.

gotcha. What about the Base Coordinates under Base Mode. Ignore that too right? For post processing.

Correct. Neither of those settings affect the raw log.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.