What can Reach do for me as an engineer/surveyorrs+

Hi, I am a PE in Illinois. My previous employer was a large enough company that we were lucky to have a Ashtech Promark GPS/GNSS setup and a backup Thales GPS/GNSS setup. I have used these instruments daily for over 5 years for staking out points, mapping pipelines, electrical, topography etc. The points I recorded were placed on an SD card in the data collector, and were easily read by the Carlson software that piggybacked over AutoCAD.

I have transferred to a small firm now that is looking to get into surveying now that we have a PE (me!) on-board. We have a current license of AutoCAD. I can convert from lat/long to State Plane UTM and vice versa. We are looking to be able to perform 3 functions:

1. Stakeout locations from points derived on AutoCAD (or simply stakeout points from a lat/long or UTM regardless of the AutoCAD aspect)

2. Store points in the field. (i.e. property markers, culverts, irrigation tile etc.)

3. Topographical surveys.

We do not have the funds to purchase a Trimble or Ashtech unit. In fact, we do not have the funds to purchase the Reach RS units either.

I would like to set the original Reach modules on our survey tripod as a base connected to our local wireless network, over a known surveyed point, and use the rover module on a plumbing rod for field surveying connected to the wifi on an android device.

I have searched this forum thoroughly and cannot find an answer that proves that my questions 1 through 3 above can be completed with the reach modules and if my connection setup will work.

Also, if the above needs can be met, what is the output file like? Do I record notes in the field or are the points stored somewhere?

Hi, Reach and RS can do so, i have done it my self. I work with Archicad and Acrhiterra and export surveypoints to an excel sheet, import to mobiltopographer that is connected to reach via bluetooth. I use one reach as base over a known point and the other to survey with the phone displaying coodinates. So its possible.
Reach need more DIY job and lack the LoRa (radio communication)
ReachRS i precisely what you need. It is ready to go.

You will find all ansvaers in my history topics, i share few here

4 Likes

Thank you for the answer. I feel confident now that I could do the jobs that I need to do well with the Reach or RS.

I do have one more question for you, or anyone with knowledge of this:

For typical base rover rtk surveys, could I use an RS for the rover and a single reach module for my base (With: 1) The correct radio on the base module? Or 2) With the base module connected to a wifi Internet connection, during rtk surveys with the rover, I will always be utilizing an Android device that is connected over 3G/4G to the internet).

Then when I want to do mapping with our drones, use the RS as the base and one Reach module as the rover on the drone?

Yes. But regarding lora

So, to utilize rs fully now, you need 2 RS units.

I think right now if i would buy and price is an issue, i would go for reach kit and some DIY. But thats me.
If not, RS is clear choice. So easy to work with. No radio hassle and no dodgy DIY box :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’d listen to TB. He knows what he is talking about. Me, not so much! ; )

I was between the kit or (2) RS units which have built in LoRa. This is the right choice hands down. If your un business, you have purchase what you really need to get the job done…or I guess you can work harder and struggle unnecessarily more. : / the products in my view, are very reasonably prices and when compared to the big dogs. The cost for RS units is a drop in the bucket.

You may also want to “invest” in a data collector with software such as FieldGenius, Carlson SurvCE, Topcon Magnet etc for stakeout and everything needed to do serious business. ReachView is great for what it is, but pretty basic point collection is all…NO STAKEOUT…and may not be for a good long while is the feeling I get reading posts of everyone wondering about it…I think Emlid is spread thin?
Good luck with the very small amount of android apps for any sort of surveying tools. Leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore get a data collector connect via bluetooth to rover. You can get old ones that some already have software on them, legit and some not. Good luck, your in for a LOT of reading and learning… its NOT turnkey… turnkey is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Hey thanks @timd1971 :wink: .
I do tend to write bold statements out here. Not sure i could vouche for every one of them :innocent:

Which data collectors do you recommend or know that work with Reach? Our GPS equipment is very old so we are looking to purchase. Reach looks really attractive right now but I need to be able to stake out points.

wellll…… I think for the most part data collectors work with Emlid as long as you can connect the “software” used on the data collector with the units via Bluetooth, Serial, TCP etc.

When I say software, like MicroSurvey FieldGenius, Layout, Carlson SurvCE/PC, TopCon Magnet Field Layout etc.

https://docs.emlid.com/reachrs/common/tutorials/survce/
https://docs.emlid.com/reachrs/common/tutorials/magnetfield/

https://docs.emlid.com/reachrs/qgis-survey/

Some Android options:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Will look into things further.

In my opinion, only RTN is a method for receivers with Reach modules, unless we accept inferior accuracy. Hence my AzusRTN project.
16-07-2018%2021-55-28
[Here], in the manual, you will find the justification. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Curious, what is this? “Simply” please, it obviously appears quite complex to new users. What is the benefit over using a Reach Rover RS BASE (on known point) and ROVER or using NTRIP / TCP corrections? and most importantly in US Dollars ballpark price and what is “required”? Appears you are selling another device to work with Emlid devices??? thank you Ryszard.

I think the bottom line it just illustrate VirtualRefrenceStations that give short baseline. Short baseline gives the most accurate measure with L1. And VRS your are free to move around as long as you have internet available

2 Likes

would something like this help this person?

I added the simplest explanation on my website. But this is not for the engineer / surveyor. :slight_smile:
But it explains in the simplest way, that if we have a service that generates for us VRS, the calculation is very simple, and the results are very accurate .

2 Likes

Who is it for then ?
And how to do it ?
The application isn’t really straight forward.
I am sorry, but you keep saying simple, but yeah, everything is simple for one who knows how to do it.
Can you make a step by step tutorial ?

1 Like