Vrs

Hello,
Can anyone tell me more about VRS?
Which is?
How it works?
And how to use in RS2?

We use VRS on all of our Emlid gear and some of our machine control. Basically it is triangulating from surrounding COR stations to create a virtual base point near you. It really helps us when we get in the center of the 3 closest stations and are almost 15 miles from any of them. Otherwise just running off one CORS accuracy really degrades when you start getting that far away. Mostly I have just seen it be inconsistent from day-to-day which is why we kept it away from machine control but each day is tight to itself. This hasn’t happened since they put the RTCM version of their network on VRS.

1 Like

OK.
But in practice how does this work?
Need some specific configuration?

1 Like

There no configuration for the user except picking the right mount point. For instance ours defaults to VRS but RTCM2.3 so I have to remember to select 3.1 manually. You’ll have to check with the provider to see if they offer VRS.

2 Likes

I use RS2 as Rover and I have an M2 as ntrip base using Emlid Caster.

1 Like

Hi Mauricio,

I won’t describe the main principles, as Michael already did it pretty detailed. But from user’s side, working with regular NTRIP and VRS don’t differ much. The only thing here is that you need to send GGA NMEA to your provider. This message contains your position, which helps calculate a virtual station near you.

Emlid Caster doesn’t provide VRS option at the moment. But if you find NTRIP service with VRS option, all Reach devices will work with it.

2 Likes

hello svetlana

And would you indicate any provider that allows VRS?

And, do you expect Emlid Caster to offer VRS?

Hi Mauricio,

There are a lot of different providers in the world, and it’s quite hard to follow them all. So, I just don’t want to mislead you. I’d create a separate thread specifying your region, and most likely, other users share their experience.

Currently, we don’t have such plans. Not in the near future, at least. VRS is an advanced functionality, and will take a lot of time to support.

And one more thing: Emlid Caster helps to connect your devices; therefore, a user should have at least 3 of their own bases running simultaneously to use VRS. But if you have your own base, most likely, you can just move it closer to a rover and not bother with VRS. In my opinion, it may be useful for someone who builds NTRIP network with Emlid Caster. Does it sound true? Or did you think about another application?

Exactly. But I’m expanding business and I’m going to build more bases, and a VRS would be great too.

So, you’re someone who builds NTRIP network! Have you tried Emlid Caster Pro? Or maybe are going to try?

1 Like

VRS is, in my opinion, not magical. Just build your network dense enough (as in 17-20 km baseline max at any point), and you’ll have have a completely on-par solution, at much less cost.
VRS is a response to that each receiver costs 10-20K Eur, and there fore you need something to fill in all the blind spots.
With a dense network, you get something that offer better and truer absolute accuracy, as you don’t have the uncertainty of the virtual base stations.

2 Likes

o Emlid Caster pro Ă© um sonho.
Mas pra quem recebe em real e paga em dĂłlar Ă© pedado brasileiro :sweat_smile:

We are building a few stations to cover the gaps in Texas. Big state so the network get’s sparse pretty quick. There’s a point that 50km from any of them. It’s about 10km from my house…

Wow, how nice @michaelL
Can you tell me more about it?
How are you riding?
What equipment are you using on the base?

I see. Anyway, if you need some support, you can always write to us!

Right now we only have the one (X) at my house but we have employees across the region that live very near the other gap centroids so I am trying to figure out how this works logistically and monetarily. I think giving someone a $50/month stipend to knock off some cobwebs might work.

I am using an M2 in a Mettatech case. It is directly connected to a battery powerbank which is then plugged into a standard mobile device charger which is plugged into a surge protector. Nothing fancy but it is surge protected and battery backed up.

1 Like

VRS - Correction Method used for GNSS positioning solution in Real Time.

Hola Mauricio: I live in South West Florida, the FDOT has a CORS network and they have (4) four
correction methods that I remember. I believe they are Single Base - Real Time Correction, Network - Real Time Correction, 1) VRS (Virtual Reference Station), 2) iMax & Max (Master Auxiliary Concept) and 3) FKP (Flaechen-Korrektur-Parameter).

I use VRS as my RTK corrections method with RS2. But I did some research and overall (experts) recommend the iMax & Max corrections with Ntrip.
Back to the RS2, we choose it when setting the Ntrip correction method in the Reach App.
I use the VRS because the CORS is spread out 16 miles or more at times and the VRS gives
me a better solution with the virtual reference station within a few meters away. If you have a
base and rover, I recommend to try to keep your base at 8-10 Km away from the RTK. Also if not try to hit one or two control points at morning and afternoon to see your difference vs rtk correction you are getting. Hope this helps…good luck Mauricio!

2 Likes

Hello @michaelL ,
I understood.
Would it be too much if I asked you to share images of your system?

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.