Using Reach RS for GCP

Hi, I see TB_RTK has already answered your question but as I was almost finished I’ll send it anyways.
Learning as you go is a great way to learn! First of all, you need to answer 1 question.

1. (Simplified approach) Do you have an outside source of corrections? If yes, you only need one Reach RS. If no, you need two Reach RS.

For high accuracy, which is necessary for accurate models, you need to process your data with a base station’s data taken during the same time as your rover. This can be done “real time” rtk, or after the survey,"post processing " For either case, you can get this data from your own base station or from a third party via subscription or sometimes as a free service.
In my opinion, the simplest approach is to buy two Reach RS’s and use your own real time correction. One possible work flow is as follows.

1. Arrive at site and set up base station.

2. Turn base station on after set up(not during or before).

3. Distribute GCP and turn on rover.

4. Connect to Rover via Reachview app and perform your survey in Reachview(that’s right, you don’t need any other data collector)

5. Save your survey data to your device and send to PIX4D.

6. This is all that’s required for high accuracy data models. Now if you need high accuracy ABSOLUTELY georeferenced data models, then you need to do as TB-RTK suggested and use a known point. The workflow would be similar but you would have to connect to your base station via Reachview and enter its exact position.

There are lots of other resources on this forum about this, but if you’re not familiar with terminology, you can get lost in the details. This is a good starting place.

5 Likes