Static vs. kinematic Emlid RTK mode for PPP

Hello – I am preparing to post-process my base logs to get an accurate base location (and then I will shift all of the field points recorded by the rover to obtain accurate absolute location).

The Emlid RS2 PPP guide says to set the RTK mode of the base to “Static” if you are planning PPP post-processing using the logs. However, for my surveys, this mode was set to “Kinematic”. Will this cause problems? I intend to submit to the NRCAN PPP service. The PPP guide instructs me to set the NRCAN mode to “Static” upon submission. Is this OK to do given that my RS2 base RTK mode was set to “kinematic” during my survey? What is the consequence of using the “kinematic” mode on the RS2 base?

Thanks in advance!

In my experience, the kinematic/static setting in the base unit is irrelevant as the base is saving the data as they come in from the satellites. If you take a look at the Rinex files, there is no setting that says kinematic or static for the point observed. Rinex formatted files are just a continuous stream of position data. So to answer your question, no consequences either way.

OK that’s what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!

It would be helpful to clarify the differences between “Static” and “Kinematic” modes in software.
I mean we all know what Static and Kinematic means but what are the changes in the algorithm of the rtk calculation in firmware?
One example is the above mentioned where a Static receiver is configured in “Kinematic” mode.
Other example is when the receiver used as rover in a semi-kinematic (stop-n-go) situation. What setting is the most appropriate? Static or Kinematic?

1 Like

Hi @djyoung,

If the unit stayed at one point, there should be no issues with NRCAN PPP even if you set the mode to Kinematic.

1 Like

Hi @vgo195,

It’s quite hard to describe the Static and Kinematic algorithms difference in few words. We can just say that the Kinematic method takes into account that the rover is moving.

You indeed won’t notice any difference if you accidentally choose Kinematic mode during the static survey. However, you’ll face unexpected difficulties in the opposite situation. If you try to move between points in Static mode, most likely, the fix will be lost almost immediately. And it’s hard enough to get it back. I’m talking so sure since I faced this myself during our tests this summer.

As far as I know, Stop-and-go is a “Kinematic” feature.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.