Sony A6000 flash mode

the A6000 has 6 flash modes:

1. Flash Off
  2. Auto
  3. Fill-Flash
  4. Slow Sync.
  5. Rear Sync.
  6. wireless

When i control manually the camera only modes 3, 4, and 5 are available.

And the popup flash is up too for 3,4 and 5?
Do you get other options when Aperture og Shutter mode is used?

After used sandpaper to remove black coat from hotshoe it doesn’t need internal flash be extended. When it was extended camera wasn’t able to take photos faster than 3 sec.
Aperture Shutter and program mode have the same options.

Its kind of hard to tell without beeing able to verfiy your timing between trigger and flash signal.
If you dont have a tool for it your error should increas with higher flight speed.

1 Like

What tool do i need to verify the dimming between trigger and flash signal?
What camera do you use?

I think you find more info in this thread or here Milliseconds. Proof of concept. Measuring timedelay from trigger to picture. - YouTube
But my issue with NX100 was triggering faster then 1/250. I had no flash signal above this speed

Tried google for similar error but they all report working timstamp, but non reportet an accuracy test. They all used manual mode but didnt state which flash mode, so you might just have to give each a try to see if it works.
I did come across a firmware update on the camera, have you updated yours? Not sure this has anything to do with your problem…

This is a flash-technical thing, where it is designed to prevent the rear shutter-curtain from making the top of the image having a black bar. So it is an artificial firmware limitation to make the camera more user-friendly (towards photographers), but makes it more or less useless for aerial use with a PPK solution :frowning:

I have the latest firmware. But i am also thinking about that because camera has another problem. Some pictures stored with portrait orientation. So the camera take a photo with correct orientation but when i view it its rotated. I solve that with an exif editor. But in my previous work we have the same camera and i never hat that problem.
I am also thinking if i must compute a more accurate starting focal length for the software.
My pilot also have a problem and we cannot fly again these days.
I will inform.
Thank you very much anyway.

I am very curious about your camera modification. I am waiting for results.

This can usually be disabled from the menu’s.

Are you volunteering to hack the firmware and make me a working PPK nx100 ? :sweat_smile:

If I hack your camera, I don’t think it would work anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have already disable that.
But take a look here:

So i remove it from the exif

Your hacking with the cables didn’t work?

My hardware hack worked/works fine. But its an ugly hack
At least i know WHEN the flash/timestamp is made and it is consistent each time

Hi Nikou,

May I ask you to share raw data logs from this flight so I can check if everything is ok with them?

Some photos of your hardware setup would be nice to get as well.

1 Like

I am uploading the files in wintransfer.
I will report here.

1 Like

OK here is the data:
https://we.tl/t-0gckCkACRi
https://we.tl/t-3KzfxemJNN

The camera is Sony A6000 and the lens Voigtlander VM Color Skopar 21mm.
GPCs and camera logs have measured from the same Base in WGS84.
Then both (GPS, and camera coords) transformed in EPSG2100.
So in photogrammetry software no coordinate transformation take place.
The solution in RTKLIB is really good. Everything is fixed.

I solve first the project just using GCPs in metashape

And these are the results. As you can see i have large residuals in photo coordinates.

then i solve the project only with camera coords and then i checked the GCPs.

Almost every GCP is like this.
I use starting values for Camera calibration them i have computed when i solve the project with GCPs.

A photo and a video from my setup:

Just double checking this. Is heading hold only to hold the camera/copter in the direction it flies, or did it turn and fly in the opposite direction for e.g if you flew a grid pattern?
If so, your Y error should have opposite values, thus your error ir something els then camera/trigger sync

1 Like