Simultaneous measuring phase and runtime measurement (Reach RS2)

Hi everyone

can anyone tell me if the RS2 is simultaneaous measuring phase and runtime?
And if so, where can I find the information?

I tried to look it up on u-blox and emlid, but didn’t find anything.

Hi Marius,

You got me confused here :sweat_smile: I’m not exactly sure what kind of data you need. Can you please describe what kind of setup you’re planning to run?

Do you mean either the different constellations are observed simultaneously or that the phase offset that sometimes can be seen in Rinex files are all zero and doesn’t require additional processing?

For legal surveying in Baden-Württemberg Germany, “Simultaneous recording of the code and phase measurements of at least two frequencies of the same satellite navigation system” is required.

So I just wanted to check if the u-blox chip is able to do this. I could not find any information on your datasheet of the RS2, neither on the u-blox ZED-F9P.
Apparently I didn’t go that deep into GNSS in my Bachelor :frowning:

I am aware of the multi frequency capability of the RS2. And worked great so far, got a fixed via post processing where the ALTUS systems at work didn’t :+1:

Hi Marius, short answer is yes, the RS2 simultaneously measures code and carrier of 2 frequencies for at least GPS, GAL, and GLONASS constellations. I think possibly for BDS too, but sometimes I see this show up as only 1 frequency in RTKLib.

They are basically using fancy legal language.

You can see this in the rinex files. The header will show which signals are received for each constellation. Example for GPS

G 8 C1C L1C D1C S1C C2X L2X D2X S2X

This means it is recording 8 observations types for the gps constellation per epoch.
C1C is Pseudo Range (code) for L1 frequency
L1C is carrier phase for L1
C2X is Pseudo Range for L2C frequency
L2X is carrier phase for L2C.

The other ones are Doppler and signal strength. Since this is for each observation it is simultaneous.

5 Likes

Hi Marius,

Our users have pretty much summed up all of the important information about it :slight_smile: But yeah, I’ll just confirm it. The RS2 unit can track the following signals:

• GPS/QZSS L1C/A, L2C
  • GLONASS L1OF, L2OF
  • BeiDou B1I, B2I
  • Galileo E1-B/C, E5b

And @Africawaterdoc has provide you with the exceptional take on what observables the unit is actually recording. They are aslo listed in the RINEX specs.

If you’re looking for a example log from Reach RS2, just drop us a line at support@emlid.com so that we can share it with you! There you can also analyze the data from the receiver on whether all of the required observables are there.

@polina.buriak @Africawaterdoc
Thanks for your quick replys and your great answers, and sorry for my stupid question, should’ve looked it up before.
Thank you so much! :blush:

An afternoon on a GNSS test field delivered great results. Looks I will be using the RS2 more often in legal surveying :smiley:

@polina.buriak is it possible to write the number of received satellite vehicles into the CSV? This was required in the forumla for the test field. I worked with Reach View 3 Version 6.11 and I had to estimate the number.

Maruis,

All questions are valid on our forum, don’t worry! This is why we all gather here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you feel like it, you can share the results of your tests with us here.

No, I don’t think so. You can, however, check that number in the position stream in NMEA. Though it’s a bit hard to compare the time of when the points were collected with the NMEA stream time. For a rough estimate, you can still use it.

Thanks Polina :slight_smile:

The results might be a little boring. They show only differences to three points which were measured by the state surveying office. I highlited some “major” differences which are still within the RTK accuracy of the state network.

Auswertetabelle-2019_Kemnat_EMLID_REACH_RS2.pdf (214.7 KB)

This was more a hint :smiley: so you might consider it for future updates :wink:

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

Marius,

Thanks for posting it! Indeed, looks like all of the differences are up to 2 cm which is ok. It’s really few of them there :slight_smile:

Oh, I see :smirk: Not really sure if it’s something we can easily add to the CSV export. I’ll transfer the request to the devs, though.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.