Section of REACH M2 power cable

According to specs, REACH M2 requires up to 3A current @ 5.2 V to power up properly (thought regular power consumption is 600mA apart from 3A peaks). This requires a power cable with at least 1mm2 section, to avoid more than 4% voltage drop (0.2V) over 10 cm length (AC and DC Voltage Drop Calculator AS/NZS 3008 | jCalc.net).
However the 6-Pins JST-GH cable provided by EMLID with REACH M2 has only less than half that section. The same for the mini USB cable.
I would appreciate a clarification from EMLID about this topic.
Thanks

1 Like

Quite a few posters have found this thing is power picky including myself.

This explains why cheap, and long USBs do not work.

Sharp observation about the jst cable. I am interested in the answer to this as well.

Hi @Alfly, @PotatoFarmer,

Thank you for noting these points regarding the micro-USB and JST-GH cables. I think we need to clarify that point a little bit more extensively in our docs.

According to our tests, the peak consumption of the current by M2 may reach up to 3A, but the average consumption of the normally operating M2 is 600 mA, which makes it possible to be used with the cables we provide. They can easily handle the peak current of 3A as it lasts for a limited period of time.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.