RTK stuck in Boot loop

Need Urgent fix!

I have been using the RTK for about a week now and It was going fine. Today I added a new wifi network and was following a tutorial about setting up a rover. I changed the name of the module and set it to be a rover with continuous GPS AP mode. I also turned the logs off (not sure if it makes a difference).

When I unplugged it and took it outside, re-plugged it and I couldn’t connect to the wifi anymore or even show a hotspot that I can connect to. The LED sequence was for the first 10 mins: 4 blue flashes then a solid magenta (loop), then it becomes (4 blue flashes and solid green).

Is this normal? why can is it not connecting to the wifi anymore and what can I do to fix it? Is it possible to restart the RTK in some way as if it is new?

I can provide more details about the settings if needed.

A boot loop can be insufficient power. Try another (good) power source to confirm. If that is not it, then you should reflash it.

I have done exactly that. One of the RTKs (the base) is working fine with the 2 power sources I have, but not the other one.

Can you please check the published MD5 sum against that of your downloaded firmware (ZIP file)? We want to be sure that you are not flashing a corrupted image.

Even if your MD5 sums match, it might be helpful to just try flashing a second time.

If you’re in a real bind, I would suggest powering Reach from a 5V supply with the DF13 connector and see if that makes any difference. If you haven’t already, make sure you swap USB cables to eliminate that too.

Can you walk me through the steps of how I check that exactly. I have no way of connecting to the chip so I am not sure I would be able to do that.

As for the power supply, I will try a 5V battery tomorrow, but the cable is not the issue I have already done a switch with no use.

Just open a terminal window and navigate to the directory with the downloaded reach image and type:
md5sum ReachImage_v2.9.zip
If you don’t know how to use the terminal window, then look for a program that can give you MD5 sums.

What you are doing is checking that the download file from Emlid to your computer was not corrupted. Compare the output to Emlid’s published MD5 sums. (It is published in the docs right beside where you downloaded the firmware file.)

Well if power supplies and cables have been cross-checked, then doing this this will rule out damage in the USB connector.

I have not installed any firmware on my computer. All I had to do to start using the chip was plugging it in. I have no files related to the RTK chip.

I connected to the hotspot created and went on with my work. It was plugged to the wall through a phone charger not even my computer.

OK, I assumed that you had reflashed already. Since you haven’t, then I would recommend that you try reflashing. I suggest scrolling down and using the Terminal Guide for your operating system in the docs:
https://docs.emlid.com/reach/common/reachview/firmware-reflashing/

1 Like

I have not done that yet, but thank you for pointing it out. I am still very new and did know this is around.

I will try it tomorrow morning and see what happens. Thank you very much for the help so far!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.