RS+ for construction stakeout with LINZ NTRIP

Hi All,
I’m trying to decide whether an RS+ is suitable for our needs/wants:

As a builder/developer, we occasionally get clients who want to stakeout their projects on-site to see how it will look on the site and see if they want to change anything etc (we would only consider this for semi-rural or urban sites where distances to boundaries are not critical, and a survey certificate is not required).

I’m looking to simply use the RS+ with ReachView 3 on my iphone to stake-out for clients, before we come through and measure out foundations etc at the time of construction.
I would use the RS+ as a single rover with our national NTRIP network from LINZ - but some distances are getting up to ~25km from the closest antenna to current clients’ sites.

Any recommendations for a simple workflow?
We could just spend a day or so with a tape and measure from the boundaries - but for foundation shapes that are a little complicated (and for simply a visual benefit for our clients) it would be a waste of time/money for our clients & ourselves.

The RS+ seems like a good (reasonably-priced) option - but keen to hear your thoughts.
And if anyone has one around Hamilton and would be willing to let me try it for a couple days, that would be awesome :wink:

Hi Leighton,

Thanks for joining the Emlid Community!

Reach RS+ is a single-band receiver, and therefore, it needs an open sky to work its best. Trees and buildings in urban and semi-rural areas can cause some difficulties in getting a fix solution.

Another constraint is the limit for the baseline. The baseline means the distance between a rover and a base, which in your case is the closest NTRIP antenna. With Reach RS+, this maximum distance is 10 km in RTK. Exceeding this limit can also cause lower levels of accuracy.

Considering all of that, Reach RS2 might suit your project better. It has a longer baseline for RTK mode (up to 60 km); it can also work better in the conditions you’ve outlined. Here is an article that discusses the main differences between Reach RS+ and Reach RS2.

Both receivers can easily get corrections via NTRIP. You can check this detailed tutorial on how to start with that from our docs.

The RS+ is extremely affordable lol and so is the RS2. You won’t find a more affordable solution likely from any manufacturer. Just get an RS2! :slight_smile: it should pay for itself very quickly.

1 Like

You method for preliminary layout is fine with the RS+, however I’d be awful careful around any multi-path conditions. Single freq receivers are fine out in the open on short baselines<10km. But any longer, I’d be awful leary in use.

We do this all the time with our dual freq receivers, however when it comes to actual staking for foundation excavation and “pinning” the foundation for brick masons, we use standard terrestrial methods, i.e. robot or total stations. Usual accuracy for building stakeout requirements are generally less than 0.03’ (1-2 cm). GNSS receivers are not suitable for this.

Is there a good article on how to use ReachView 3 to stake out a house?

Or is the recommendation to use some other software like FieldGenius?

If you want to see your line work then yes FG is a very good option, Using it now as we speak

Dave,

Thank you. How about FG for house stakeout? I have been researching and none of their training videos show anything on house stakeout.

Thanks for your help

Once you have you cad drawing imported and localized your ready to go as you will see the icon moving about your project as you move around.
The other way that works simpler is collect a point or even 2 from the site and then with the drawing tool you can add points and lines as you need . Did you see these videos?

Are you using the Windows version? Do you know if it is the same in the Andriod?

Yes I use the windows version , last time I checked the android version was nowhere near the premium version of windows

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.