Reach RTK for Water Ski and Barefoot Water Ski site setup and surveying

If you are trying different things, I would go for a ground plane diameter of 120mm (+/- 20mm) and a minimum elevation of 1m off the ground. (diameter affects tuning / elevation reduces multipath) Also let Reach dangle below instead of tucked right up underneath the antenna. (eliminate Wi-Fi/cpu interference) Have your radio disconnected as well. (eliminate radio interference - I know you did this already) And have a minimum of objects nearby that are visible to the antenna over the rim of the ground plane. (walls, trees, etc. are a source of multipath signals which confuse the receiver)

That should get you a “best case scenario” that you can log and upload for us to look at. Also show a screenshot of the status page if you like.

With regards to the edges that @wizprod was mentioning: turned up or rolled up edges is really bad; turned down edges is fine. A turned down edge could also be bad if there is a large lip below and the antenna can see that lip beyond the turned down edge. I think I have a crude pic here somewhere… let me find it…

Simple theory really: Any satellite signal that doesn’t hit the flat top of the metal ground plane should be reflected away from the antenna.

Good luck in getting those green bars!

2 Likes