Reach RS+

Correct. PPK is not even an option for my workflow.

1 Like

While a stop-and-go survey mode would be really nice to have, I think @EarthImage overlooked that it is partially possible with the point collection feature we have now. Sure, it is not a streamlined workflow, but it can be done like so:

1. Start raw logs on base and rover.
  2. Optionally set up for RTK (just for supplemental information).
  3. Start with your rover on a point in a clear area and stay on that point until you should have a fix (a few minutes). OR if you did set up for RTK, then you can confirm fix status on the screen.
  4. Start a survey project and collect your point for 1 minute (or whatever occupation time you prefer).
  5. Move to each other point and perform a point collection for each point. We assume that our ‘PPK fix’ will be held through the whole survey, so keep the rover unobstructed and pointing at the sky as much as possible, especially when moving between points.
  6. When finished your point collections, post-process your raw logs into one big .POS (position) file.
  7. Download the survey project and open it for editing. Keep the start and stop times and wipe out the position for each point. (The single-mode or RTK position will be replaced by a PPK position.)
  8. Use RTKPLOT to display the .POS file. From the menu, limit your view between the start and stop time for the first point. Enable statistics and read the average position as reported on the RTKPLOT screen in the upper right corner.
  9. Repeat for all the other points.

Now, one could employ some automation with his spreadsheet software to make it easier or write a little script to do the whole thing automatically.

I’m not trying to convince @EarthImage that this is what he or @raj.gis should do. I just wanted to point out that it is a better way than doing a separate survey for each point. It does take a little extra time in the post processing, but when you are in the field it is just as fast as the stop-and-go mode that he is asking for.

edit: I missed the fact that @Earthimage covered this scenario already in the 3rd paragraph of his previous post. Pardon me for rehashing it, but I’m not going to delete my explanation now on the off-chance it might be of help to someone else.

3 Likes

I am new to these units and PPK so I don’t understand how shooting points traditionally is different than “stop-and-go” or what @bide just described? I was taught early when I got the RS+ that it may be easier just to turn logging off and on instead of taking shots so it is easier to tell where the shots are. Is this similar?

How long would it normally take to correctly post-process 10-15 points?

If you are switching on/off the raw log as your point collection mechanism, then you break the initialization each time, and so you need to add extra time to your next log to allow the post-processing job to regain a fix. @EarthImage mentions 10min per point, so that is 100-150minutes of collection time. Say you spend 5 minutes post-processing each log file, then that is another 50-75 minutes. Total time 150-125minutes (This is compressed time - not accounting for moving between points or traveling to/from the office, etc.)

Say you needed to collect 200 points in one day and also had to have the post-processing completed. In that scenario, you need the raw log to record continuously in order to hold the initialization so you don’t loose your fix while moving between points. At 30 seconds per point, that is 100 minutes. Say you spend 5 minutes per point on post-processing just like the previous scenario, then that is 1000 minutes. Total time 1100 minutes. (~18 hours)

Now you begin to see the difference when there is a demand for your productivity to increase. What would help is some automation (or a feature as @EarthImage has requested) - something to cut down the post-processing time and make it easily doable start-to-finish in one day.

Disclaimer: I am just estimating the numbers as a rough comparison here in these examples - do not take them literally.

1 Like

Thanks for this! This is why I only shoot RTK or use alternatives. Flying the site to just get horizontal via QGIS and then laser level ($250-300) off a certified benchmark works well for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the valuable information, I will give a try and let you know with my results…or help required.

Regards

Rahul

1 Like

Hey there,

Thanks for the request!

We have plans on implementation of “Stop-and-go” method, however, there is no ETA.

In the meantime, I recommend using a survey tool for placing GCPs. The workflow was greatly described by @bide.

2 Likes

You can also check out the DroneDeploy forum. We have posted several threads and tutorials on the subject and more in-depth on how they affect processing. I am @MichaelL there. Feel free to message me.

1 Like

Could you please explain me how would I do the point

1. Start with your rover on a point in a clear area and stay on that point until you should have a fix (a few minutes). OR if you did set up for RTK, then you can confirm fix status on the screen.

It it possible with RTK to log in ubx file as well ?

Your PPK log solution works very well.

Your answer is much appreciable…

1 Like

Hi Rahul,

You surely can store raw data during the RTK survey. You just need to enable logging for both base and rover units in ReachView.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.