Reach + RFD900 radios

Today’s test was quite successful. Although I have experienced previously that one days configuration that works, may not work a different day in similar conditions. I would love to hear extra feedback if anyone tries the same or other configurations. Again, this is what I configured in the radio (I am focusing on that, because I have not had issues with graybars dropout using wifi connection between modules and my cell phone as a hotspot):

First, the results: I tried two different times and was able to obtain fix within less than 1 minute. I still saw some of the gray bars dropout but I think not as often as before, and they recovered quickly. In fact, it did not affect the ability to obtain first float and then fix. It did go from fix to float a couple of times but I am not entirely sure that it is due to the dropouts. In all cases, fix was recovered within 3 seconds.

My setup, as mentioned before was using my cellphone as a hotspot for PC and both reach modules, the Mission Planner obtaining corrections from base using TCP and GPS inject into 3DR 433MHz radios. The base module is on a 1,7m tripod and powered by an external USB battery pack:

The rover module is inside the drone canopy, with the antenna on top of a mast I made with gopro brackets, and at the same level or slightly above the main GPS antenna. (I know the canopy is in bad shape, its the one I use for testing antenna placement and drilling holes :sweat_smile: )

Ground planes are made of Raw PCB boards cut to 10x10cm squares and with the antenna cable straight down through a small hole.

Finally, a screenshot of the SNR levels when fixed.

And the positions in RtkPlot. You can how the solution goes from single to float and the fixed.

And also the spots where the solution went very briefly from fixed to float and then back.

I will try this set-up again next monday and also check the results while flying. Because I am still not 100% confident that this solution is completely reliable every time. Again, I would really appreciate feedback or results from someone else in this or other configuration. I have some very important milestones close by and I need to have the RTK working reliable to ensure the future of our project.
Cheers!

2 Likes