Reach for tractor guidance

I think I have talked to you on AOG forum too.

If you are near or in trees L1 only will never perform, also minutes to getting a fix with L1 gear can be infuriating.

The new L2 gear is worth the update.

For example with the antenna 1.2m off the ground, only lose fix in one spot on one pass in these trees.
First fix happens in a minute or less, reestablishing a dropped fix takes seconds once the sky is partially open. I use the helical Tallysman antenna in these trees, it outperforms the patch antenna style to keep the fix in treed areas. L2 is a giant leap forward.

1 Like

Hello PotatoFarmer. Yes, I am on AOG forum. I agree that I am expecting a lot from the single band receivers- but I thought I may as well see if Emlid can throw any light on why my first generation Reach unit just cannot re-establish a fix without needing a reboot before I throw in the towel and move to multiband units.
Spent a bit of time last night researching F9P receivers, unfortunately the Reach M2 is looking quite overpriced compared to other options- it is a pity Emlid dont offer an upgrade scheme for early adopters of their products, since I will need to upgrade both receiver and antenna for base and rover.
I will take your advice on antenna choice- I will be working in the shadow of dense trees at times. I had just been looking at patch antennas, but will see what other options are available.

I think Emlids upgrade scheme is the already low purchase price, John deere wants $14,500cdn for a new starfire 6000 with RTK. The SF6000 has no accuracy benefit over an m2. You can buy 18 M2’s with helical antenna for the price of one deere globe.

I really love the M2 as base for AOG; The ease of base setup, ease of PPP, and ease of networking corrections from it, small form factor, legacy corrections to play nice with Trimbles, and are 100% compatible with F9P. The UI is excellent.

For the base using a survey style antenna with the m2 is a great combination, for the rover on the machine the helical are excellent and do not build up dirt as well. I only wipe down the tallysman if its convenient, have not been forced to stop yet to clean it because of degraded signal.

1 Like

Hi @WilM,

I should say that you’re good at data analysis! I’ve checked the data, and I agree with you: there are just not enough satellites to calculate a Fix in most cases.

As discussed here before, the forest is too harsh conditions for a single-band device. But I have a small suggestion for you.

There’s indeed a potential to calculate a Fix. However, besides satellites with a high SNR, satellites with a lot of cycle slips appear at this time. They are low above the horizon. In such cases, increasing the elevation mask can help.

Also, I want to comment on the upgrade scheme. We don’t have one because multi-band devices aren’t an upgrade for single-band. They are just designed for different applications.