NTRIP - use Base to collect points or Rover?

We finally got our BASE RS+ connected to an NTRIP correction and received a FIX status :smile:

Question is do we still need to use our ROVER to collect GCP’s? or do we just move the “base” and collect?

This morning’s scenario: After connecting the Rover to the base via LoRA, it initially showed a FIX also but then when we went to start a survey, it dropped to Single, even though the base still showed a FIX. So maybe we don’t need the rover at all when using an NTRIP service. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

If you are using NTRIP, you connect it to your rover and then survey points.

1 Like

Ok so I need to setup the ROVER with the NTRIP. Not the Base. Correct?

1 Like

That is one way of doing it, rover gets fix from NTRIP.

1 Like

Hi @ehcropydoc,

All our devices can be either a base or a rover. There is no hardware difference. So, if the device receives corrections (it doesn’t matter from NTRIP or another device), it’s a rover. And, if it has a Fix solution status, you can just start collect points with this device.

Just one note: keep in mind that the maximum baseline for Reach RS+ is 10 km in RTK. NTRIP reference station may be too far away to obtain centimeter-accurate coordinates.

1 Like

I have used just the RS2 Rover in the field connected to NTRIP. But oftentimes I prefer to establish an NTRIP connection with the RS2 Base, log a Fix position for 10 minutes and then carry out an RTK survey with the Rover. This is because cellular data is not always consistent in my survey areas, and I cannot always rely on a good signal throughout the day with just the Rover.

2 Likes

Then yes you can do it that way as well. Once your base has established its location, the NTRIP feature is no longer needed provided you are using LoRa to output corrections.

I do the same thing here for a different reason.

Lucas, you think like I do. When I’m able to go in the field, I use both my M2 setups as a static baseline. I try and separate them as far apart as I can based on the project size. I then use my Javad Victor LS as a rover using the state RTN VRS service. Most of the areas I’m in has spotty cell coverage. If I lose cell coverage, I can then use my rover just doing static observations. I then have a closed polygon (two bases and the rover) to PP and I know the true accuracy of my rover locations. You can use one base but doing my work requires an accuracy report for each property corner I locate. You don’t really know what the true accuracy of a single baseline whether static or RTK, especially if the rover locations are in high multi-path areas like mine are approx 90% of the time.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.