Navio2 img

Hello,

Here’s a new topic to discuss Navio2 specifics in regards to the new sd-card image and apm binary that were released this morning.

The official docs are here:
rpi2 image
apm

This is awesome thanks a lot for your work Emlid!

Looks like everything is working well. I obviously haven’t flown yet. I just launched ArduCopter sending telemetry over wifi to Mission Planner, and it looks like I am getting all sensor data properly.

We also now have a newer kernel:

pi@navio:~ $ uname -a
Linux navio 4.1.6-v7+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 28 19:58:25 MSK 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

Here’s what cpu usage looks like on the rpi2:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND 886 root -13 0 46376 44908 3500 S 49.0 4.8 4:50.78 ArduCopter-hexa 145 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 7.6 0.0 0:43.36 spi0 179 root 20 0 0 0 0 D 5.9 0.0 0:47.85 rcio_worker 150 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 1.3 0.0 0:10.95 spi1 906 pi 20 0 5092 2508 2160 R 1.0 0.3 0:04.46 top 51 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0.3 0.0 0:00.10 kworker/u8:1 636 ntp 20 0 5664 3828 3396 S 0.3 0.4 0:00.31 ntpd

I am not seeing the 15-20% cpu usage cause by the irq storm of the old dwc_otg usb driver. I wonder how you managed that!

I’ll pursue my tests and put my updates here.

Also it looks like SBUS is working fine with my Futaba R7008SB receiver.

1 Like

I need to build the Navio2 flight stack binary from source since I have customized code that I was using with the Navio+ already. Therefore, when will the Navio2 code be available in the APM git repo?

A pull request has been submitted to the APM git repo, but in the meantime you can find it on emlid’s github account.
IIRC the branch is called pr/navio2.

When I issue the wget command from the rpi2 image instructions above, the apm-navio2.deb file being downloaded to my Navio2 is only 9,48KB/s. the apm-navio2 file in the download link is much larger so I know something inst right. What could I be doing wrong?

Is this new RPi2 Image based on Jessie or is it still based on the former Wheezy?

Im also experiencing the same sorts of speeds trying to download the rpi2 image. At this rate its going to take me more than a day. Maybe someone who has already downloaded it might be able to mirror (for now) the file on dropbox, or somewhere similar?

http://rd3s.com/navio2/apm-navio2.deb

http://rd3s.com/navio2/emlid-raspberrypi2-raspbian-navio2-20160203.img.xz

I’m guessing Jessie:

pi@navio:~ $ cat /etc/issue
Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 \n \l

pi@navio:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi

Robert- you are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.

Thanks Robert.

Robert, thank you for stepping in! It was probably a peak load on our file server that caused slow download speeds, we will analyze logs and adjust the configurations accordingly.

Any chance we can get this image working on the older Navios?

Even if it’s not possible to detect the old Navio chipset (HAT EEPROM?) maybe you coild still keep one RT build and add the old drivers blacklisted in the modules path plus a simple batch script which enables the older hardware.

Then you have only to maintain one kernel branch and the older customers have a greater chance they can keep up to date with newer kernels into the future.

Then main point of concern are the newer C libraries which are only built-in the newer kernels. So long as Navio+ only has the original RT build we have to resort to complex recompilation/back-porting or switch to the unstable package source.

@CodeChief

There’s a chance there’ll be one image, because we can indeed understand what Navio version is in use. But to assemble the image proper we need more time.

@Al_B

The source code will be available in a day or two. Sorry for the delay.
Anyhow, I wouldn’t recommend fly off the master branch and hence pr/navio2, because it hasn’t been tested properly. We recommend to use only stable releases.

1 Like

Hey @staroselskiy,

Is there any update on the Navio2 image working with the Navio+ boards?

Thanks

Just to confirm, the Navio2 image and APM will support EKF2 and it’s option to run separately on the two IMUs?

Sveiks! @staroselskiy

Sorry, I’m still not clear on whether EMLID intend to make an image available for older Navio or not?

If not, that’s OK just as long as it’s possible to build an updated system from source.

You see I have one of the earlier Navio board supplied to backers of original IndieGoGo campaign …didn’t do anything with it until recently when I purchased an RPi2 and started building a quad with my son. I’ve been working on a Gentoo-based image and trying out different kernels, including EMLID ‘rpi-3.18.9-rt5’, in an attempt to resolve issues (reported both here and other forums) regarding RPi camera electrical interference and USB-attached cameras (i.e. trying to find optimal dwc_otg parameters that allow decent performance without hanging system).

I inspected new Navio2 image and see newer kernel 4.1.6 so would it be possible to use EMLID ‘rpi-4.1.6-spi1-enabled’ source to build kernel for original Navio or is this only applicable to Navio2?

From first post (above) from @pierig regarding “not seeing the 15-20% cpu usage case by the irq storm of the old dwc_otg usb driver” …I too am very curious to understand how/if that was resolved (newer kernel with patches?) so a stable platform (with decent video streaming performance) can be achieved?

Regarding video, I am not keen to pursue option where RPi camera and cable are shielded in any sort of foil as anecdotal evidence (and my own testing) suggests it does not completely resolve the issue - just reduces impact so judicious placement of GPS antenna, use of ground plane and/or other shielding is still required. USB-attached camera seemed like a solution but then had to deal with dwc_otg shenanigans and trying to find workable streaming software compatible with either qgroundcontrol or apmplanner2 (still a work in progress).