"Inconsistent compasses" error with APM Planner 2

Had a crash yesterday, due to low battery in the transmitter and forgetting to set up sane failsafe settings, my copter went out of control and flew away at high speed) Luckily it dropped soon, but now, I’m afraid, it needs some cleaning and repair before the pic :slight_smile:

As for compass, I’ve noticed, it works quite accurately, when the power goes through RPi’s microUSB and no battery connected. As soon as I connect LiPo both compass and Yaw value in the Flight Data display start to slowly float lower and higher, without particular system, even when all is disarmed. Arming and turning motors on doesn’t actually change this behaviour, they still float back and forth.

sorry about your crash, hope your copter is fine;
important to go through all settings and try to understand the “initial setup” window
also to get an understanding of how and why the compass is behaving it is better to investigate how “magfield” behaves; (it’s in “flight data” windows in the “status” tab); it gives you a magnetiic value of your compass - this should be something around 300-400 ntesla depending on where you live in the world; everything over/under is very likely a magnetic interference;

Thank you. It obviously works as previously, hopefully, there’s no damage.

Yes, I’ll try to sort it out with compasses, maybe I somehow incorrectly calibrated it. Otherwise I don’t have any special conditions, massive metal constructions near etc. By the way, is it normal to calibrate it at home or it’s better to do the compass calibration outside?

definitely outside - away from power lines and all metal objects that can influence the earth’s magnetic field;

@panky, thank you for guiding me through this process of compass calibration! I’ve tried to calibrate it several more times, including outside the other day, in the forest, out of any metal objects or electrical things, as far, as I know, still it keeps warning with “Check mag field” error. To my experiments it seems to be caused by battery, which is placed below the flight controller, just have no other place to put it. So it seems, I have to use it without the data from compass for my setup.
Anyway, big thanks for your help!

1 Like