How to obtain precise coordinates with just a Reach rover?

:gift:

1 Like

_____Untitled

For snakes ! :wink:

3 Likes

Ding ding ding…

2 Likes

If I can ask a question about your using a SIM card in the rs 2 do u have a sim in both rover and base ?
I’m trying to decide how to set up our system to be efficient currently I am using a base with a wifi extender which is giving use a spotty internet connection at our yard and want to improve it by perhaps adding the data SIM card as the location it is in has been great for the ntrip caster to the field rover
When it’s connected but there is some drop off which is frustrating in the field.
So on the field rover side I’ve been trying the phone hotspot to the android controller and rs2+ to collect points and again want to add a SIM card to the control to simplify things and nail down the best set up
We like others aren’t surveyors But want to use the Emlid to provide quantitative information of asphalt and concrete works for payment we are using field genius and Emlid flow to start this process and are just learning the features and techniques to produce the results

How are others achieving this?

I use a sim card in my base RS2+ but I often have to use my hot spot for it. The built in SIM support just doesn’t get a good enough single at some sites…I’m sure it’s latency, that’s when I switch over to my hot spot. I use my iPad as a hotspot for my rover and if there’s enough battery left I use that to connect my controller to, if not I use my phone as a hotspot for the drone controller connection. At least until I get another hot spot. Not optimal but I do what I have to to get the job done.

2 Likes

Does it feel like the sim card feature in the RS2+ (or even the RS2) is a defective design flaw? I see so many problems here about the sim card portion? Seems a great feature… when it works?

Holding out if EMLID releases a newer product without this issue?

Not sure. I use the same provider in my hot spot that I put in the RS2+. RS2+ is spotty coverage at best. That’s when I switch over to my hot spot…just hate leaving that out there while I’m setting points and flying.

1 Like

I mean Apple and Google can’t even get antennas right sometimes… Service in our area is a crapshoot though. The only way to mitigate it is with a 3rd party device like Joe recommended. Preferably with dual provider capability.

3 Likes

Hi Joe,

When you work with the network of benchmarks, it may be indeed more consistent to use the base placed on one of them. But I just thought, that the localization feature that we released a while ago may also come in handy for you. Here is a guide on how to use it.

1 Like

Hi @jamieta1,

I’m sorry that I didn’t get back to you in time.

Reach RS2 has a 3.5G modem. So it supports working with 2G and 3G SIM cards. If you have a good 2G/3G coverage in your work area, using a SIM card may be the most convenient solution. This is a guide with the workflow.

If you have only 4G or 5G reception, you can insert the SIM card into the mobile phone and connect the receiver to its hotspot. To do this, follow the steps from this guide.

And if there is no stable internet connection at your work site, I’d recommend using the LoRa radio to pass the corrections between the receivers.

Please let me know if you have issues with any of these workflows. We will investigate it together.

2 Likes

I used the RS2+ for my base. The past couple of flight the sim has worked fine…I think it’s more a matter of location than anything else. If the internal sim has connectivity issues I switch over to using my hotspot. I’m trying to get our survey guys to get me a BM closer to our site.

1 Like

Hi Julia,
I did the 7 day trial specifically to test out the localization function. It worked pretty well for this one site where they aren’t on any state plane. Just didn’t think it was worth it for what I would use it for. 99% of our sites are in state plane and using the scale factor to adjust BM’s from surface to grid ahs been working for me.
Thanks for the response.

3 Likes

You are the 0.01% HA! :crazy_face:

Oh, I see. Thanks for sharing it, Joe!