Hot shoe integration

I have this Hot Shoe Adapter for my Sony NEX 5N, My problem is I’m not getting any signal when the camera fires, I could have something in the setting wrong, but I suspect the problem comes from the fact that when I attach the hot shoe adapter to the camera, the camera never recognizes it as a flash, When I go to the menu to set the flash mode, my camera says “no flash attached”

Any ideas?

You have to use other pins also, that if connected say to the camera that there is attachment plugged.The main goal here is to use the GPS WLAN pins and geotag the photo directly, as phantom and smartphone does, but with reach fix solution

Hi I have a canon eos m camera. I wired the hot shoe to reach but I can not connect and I don’t see last event time in this page.

Apparently just installing the hot shoe is not enough to register the unit with the camera. I did get a “last event logged” entry on the reachview app camera page when I triggered the camera, but the time was off. I was indoors, without a good fix, would this cause the “last event logged” shown on the reachview app to be incorrect. (again, I haven’t actually worked with the log file ywt)

Try in clear sky not in interior !
Also try with low speed like 1/60 then update to high speed if it works with low speed. With some camera like Samung NX, it will not work with high speed. Signal is here and does not need flash activated in camera menu …

Hey Sylvain,

I have been flying the drone with Reach in clear sky but still experiencing missing camera event tags. I am using Sony A6000 and set Reach in Static mode for PPK only. I have found somewhere in the forum that Reach needs a good fix (At least Float) in order to log the camera event. Is that true? And I am having my Reach in Static mode so the Kinematic fix should not matter.

Thanks.

Tantan

Sorry, the Reach rover is in Single mode. Not Static mode like I just posted above.

Sorry could not help, I experienced same problem with missing events and Emlid never replied. Are you sure about your hotshoe cable ? Do you build it or bought it ?

I bought it from Tuffwing and it is working for sure. I tried to manually trigger the camera 40 times in my basement with very little GPS signal and counted the time mark event change in ReachView which did show 40 changes. So I am sure the cable is working. Maybe the problem is caused by post processing as after using RTKPOST tool to generate .pos file, the event numbers in .pos file usually does not match. Thanks.

Do you know this issue on Sony camera :

Yup. I did the exact same thing according to this video. Without sanding the bottom of the negative part, the hotshoe cable will not work.

Which platform is it ?
Where is reach antenna ?
Do you have picture ?

I am using a pixhawk 2 platform with Tarot 690s frame.
The Reach Antenna is Maxtenna L1/L2 and mounted on a GPS stand stick above everything else on the multirotor.
I don’t have a picture now but I can send one later.

Hi. Did someone try the Samsung HX50 or Samsung HX60 with Reach and hot shoe?

Do you mean Sony instead of Samsung ? If so, in comparison to rx100 II they have same weight but RX100 II with 1" sensor is far away better than 1/2.3" ones !

Yes Sylvain, sorry I meant Sony. Yes my plan is to use a RX100 II, but first I want to try with a cheaper camera, do some tests with ppk Reach and GPS ground control points. If it all works well then I´ll go with a new RX100 II.

I already have a Samsung NX 1000 wich I buyed to try Reach but couldn’t do that because or the shutter speed of the camera.

Hi. Did anyone try a Sony Nex6 with hot shoe?

@Max_Uav, any success since then with Sony RX100 or HX60?

Hi @messer.janos,

I´m Max_uav, but that was and old account.

Yes I have been using Sony RX100 II with a hotshoe adapter (fisrt with Emlid Reach and now with Emlid M+) for more than 2 years now with very good results.

I use this configuration on RTK Settings Tab:

2 Likes

Hi @Doppler_Uav,

Thank you for your feedback, good to hear it works.

1 Like