Helical Antenna Fitting Type

Here is the finished product. Right angle SMA connector mounted behind the DJI GPS module, MCX end comes out of 5mm hole in the bottom shell besides the landing gear. Emlid reach M+ mounted on a cheap bracket sold to carry flashlights on the P4, powered by Ashot from Vanvara Digital. Total added weight: bugger all. Way better than the 180g or so of my fist ever homemade setup.

3 Likes

Very nice! I like the way that the antenna is counted back so that when the drone goes into forward tilt in flight that is probably pretty vertical. I’ll have to give that a try on my next one. Did you take more pictures of the build?

No sorry, no more pics during building. Yes that rearward cant will have the antenna sitting nicely during flight.

If you wanted pictures for the routing it is very simple. SMA end of cable threaded into 6.5mm hole just behind the rear GPS module screw. cable angled to exit to the port side. Runs under the GPS shield till emergence where it drops downward past the battery cage and motor wires. Nothing more is in it’s way as it drops down towards the 5mm exit hole you can see in the first photo if you blow it up. The cable I used is a 15cm SMA female right angle to straight MCX male connector.

No test flight yet but I don’t think the antenna will prevent the DJI GPS antenna from seeing enough sat’s for a waypoint flight. If it is bad I will report that.

I was going to make it all internal like the Teokit, but last time I tried the thing wouldn’t fly right. Was suggested that maybe it was a IMU issue, but I couldn’t make it fly right. So I’m back to external which I don’t mind as I like to have access the the M+

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with the internal gps. I’ve run mine twice the way it sits and it worked just fine. At least no indication in DJI Go or flight.

Here was my backup option; perhaps it’ll help someone. My backup was to transplant everything into a P4RTK upper shell, for which the spare parts are readily available and affordable. The plastic dome is an ideal place to mount the antenna SMA thread end. cable can be routed through a hole in the plastic dome and down the side of the UAV, or routed internally through the top and bottom shells and out of a hole drilled in the bottom shell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.