Getting Started

Better still, where can I get them?

First let us clarify some things:

1. In your picture you show a Reach RS, but your questions pertain to Reach (the module). So I believe you have been reading the wrong documentation. You will find that there is no mention of “ground plane” or “MCX socket” in the proper documentation. Here is where you find the proper documentation for Reach RS:
  1. Most people use the LoRa antenna that is provided in the Reach RS case. (That is what I use.)
  • If you are having problems with the LoRa radio, please explain your problems.
  • If you still desire an extension cable and a different antenna (like in the picture above), please explain why and then I will find something for you.

Also, please note that I just updated your picture in this post above: Getting Started
It now shows the proper names for the antenna connection.

1 Like

Bide,

Oops! You mean they are different? I didn’t realize it. TQVM. Will have to restart from scratch.

LoRa radio: I certainly don’t have problem with this because I am not even there yet. My question relates more to the extension tube holding the Reach RS above the tripod.

OK good.

Between Reach RS and the tripod, you should have a tribrach and threaded adapter like so:
tribrach_and_threaded_adapter

The bubble level and adjustment wheels will allow you to perfectly level the Reach RS. The optical plummet will allow you to center it precisely over a point on the ground.

If you don’t wish to purchase those parts, then you can just use a bubble level and a plumb bob. It just takes a lot more time to make it both level and centered over a point on the ground, and it may not be as accurate.

2 Likes

Bide, wonderful. It’s beginning to make sense now. I spend the whole day cutting and shaping some plastic sheets to hold the instrument to the tripod. I think I can cannibalize it from a dumpy level or get a unit from the survey shop.

I wish EMLID can incorporate your photos and explanations in their manual. It will certainly save people a lot of grief. I showed the instrument to many people here and they all ran away when they saw the documentation. Now they refuse to take my calls. So it has been a very aggravating few weeks.

1 Like

One other thing you could use is a prism pole and a set of bipod legs (including bubble level). It is very fast to set up, but not as stable and not as accurate as the tripod with tribrach.

Bide, The prism pole and bipod will be ideal for our needs as it is for agriculture. I just looked at my prism target for the Total Station. The connections doesn’t feed as it is non-threaded.

TQVM for your advice. They are invaluable.

2 Likes

Remembering we are talking cm accuracy not mm accuracy, here are some shots of my more agricultural solution.
The whole rig,
A section of 23mmx23mm (radio transparent) plastic stake with a nut set in the top.
A section of 25mm external diameter steel box section with a nut set in the bottom.
A piece of metal sheet with a hole drilled in it to replace the tribrach.

The plastic stake can be dropped into any piece of 25mm box section, so my permanent reference stations are, you guessed it, 25mm box section. I can just turn up on site and drop the Reach base station in. Some are bolted to the roofline of buildings, some to structures, some longer sections just hammered into the ground. A cheap, but repeatable way to move precise positioning from the domain of the surveyor into the farmyard. The land owners like this, as my permanent infrastructure is clearly low cost, robust AND accurate. I think the phrase is 'fit for purpose.

1 Like

Wow! Simon_Allen this is something.

What is radio transparent?

Can you show details of the top an bottom fittings please?

Is the plastic stuck to the metal hollow section through friction only?

Plastic is radio transparent i.e. if you have a piece of plastic (the pole) in between you and the antenna some signal will pass through. If you have the whole metal tripod blocking line of site to the antenna you will only get reflected signals at your location. so the plastic pole gives LORA 360 degree visibility with no extra aerials. The plastic stake is wrapped with insulating tape to make it a snug (and consistent fit in the metal box section. See the new section in the Projects area where this post has been copied for some more photos of bits and bobs.

Simon_Allen, amazing inventiveness. Tq. May I ask: What is LORA and CORS?

Simon_Allen, bide, Based on what I have read so far:

1. The Base station must be leveled accurately during setting up.
  2. The Rover does not need to be leveled as it can be mounted an vehicles and machines. It can be wobbling about the horizontal.

LORA is the radio in the reach Rs
CORS is a continuously operating reference station usually delivering over mobile data.

The reach base station only ends up level as part of accurately positioning it. If you are using the reach average function to set reference station position it has to be securely fixed, but absolutely level is not a necessity. Just looks neater!

Simon_Allen, thank you. I am guessing. Does LORA stand for Low Range?

Long Range
http://www.semtech.com/wireless-rf/internet-of-things/what-is-lora/

TB_RTK, Thank you

Tq everyone for the advice so far. I have managed to set up the Reach RS onto a tripod.

Stage 2 connecting to a network:

1. First Setup:
    With an iPhone, I open ed the Personal Hotspot in the setting to make it available to other users.
    Record Network Name “iPhone” and password.

Power on Reach RS.
in the iPhone settings, open Wi-Fi networks,
Connect to a network named “reach:99.12”.
Network password: emlidreach.
Connect.

1. Setting up Wi-Fi:
    In iPhone browser, connect to http://168.42.1 and see ReachView Updater.

Press the blue + button in the blue circle to a new window “Add new Wi-Fi network”.
    Network name: iPhone,
    Security WPA2-PSK - (automatically shown),
    Save.

Press on the added network - iPhone,
Click Connect.

Reach RS tried to connect to the iPhone network.

Switch to iPhone, load browser, key in: reach.99.12,
password: emlidreach.

Error message: No internet connection.

Repeated attempt from the beginning. Same error message received.

I will be grateful for advice on how to get through this stage. Thank you.

did you download the ReachView app from the app store? (It helps you find your Reach device)

If not, then when you were connected to the Reach hotspot, did you try to navigate to the ReachView web page at http://192.168.2.15 ?

The warning message “no internet” is normal. This is because you have disconnected from your own WiFi with internet and this means you have lost WiFi internet connection. Now you are connected to Reach (which does not provide internet), and this is why you get the warning.

Thanks Bide. I used the ReachView app successfully.

I tried this: http://192.168.2.15. Safari cannot oen the page because it could not connect to the server.

I tried ReachView again. This time not successful.

Response: We can’t find any Reach receivers in your local network.

1. Make sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Reach.
  2. Check available wireless networks to see if your Reach created a hotspot,
  3. ReachView version must be at least v2.8.0. (I read somewhere that any instrument bought after Jan 2017 is ok. Mine was bought in Sept 2017.)

I go to Setting, Wi-Fi and selected reach:99:12.
Response: No internet connection.