Getting started, multiple problems

Your base just need to on in same timespan as your Rover. The only time you would want/need such long observation-time is if you need to establish a reference point using a CORS network or NTRIP.

Both your Rover and your base need at least 10 satellites with an SNR above 35 to get a decent, trustworthy fix. If just one of your 2 devices have reception issues, the entire system won’t provide centimeter accuracy.

A false fix is when the underlying algorithms think position is trustworthy, but actually it not. Doesn’t usually occur in good sky view conditions, only in suboptimal conditions.

I was told to keep my Base on for as long as possible, and that the Rover didn’t need any satellites -its position was calculated by Lora relative to the Base.

Having been sold this kit as a simple ‘plug and play’ solution it sure don’t seem to work.

Then you have been filled with magic fairydust, sorry to say! RTK GNSS works by having 2 sets of satellite observation points, one stationary, the base, which sends corrections to the rover and the other one, the rover, doing the roving (i.e walking around placing GCP’s).

Both are quite demanding regarding sky view to obtain centimeter accuracy.

3 Likes

Normally with all the RTK systems the rover does need satellites. It reads its own tracks and with an RTK Fix the base sends the corrections.

well it doesn’t seem to be working at all, despite having lots of sky.

I breezed through the thread and didn’t see this, but have you tried different settings and satellite groups. I would set your LoRa frequency at the bottom of the range as it will penetrate any obstacles better. I had good luck lowering the output power to 16db.

Next would be the satellites. You can turn on GPS/GLONASS/Galileo on the base, but only use GPS on the rover. If it’s good then add GLONASS. If not then add just Galileo. I occasionally have to turn off GLONASS in my area for some reason. I’m not sure what we have that messes with it.

I was assisting someone the other day and post-processing their data. The track came out fine with GPS/GLONASS. When I added Galileo and then also QZSS it was garbage.

Looking at the rover ubx, I don’t see it is a settings issue. Something is either very wrong with the antenna on the rover, or the rs+ unit as a whole is being kept somewhere very sub-optimal during the survey, like inside a car, or the antenna not being oriented properly upwards.

We need images of the rover setup, preferably while you did the survey.

3 Likes

Thanks, that is useful info. No photos of the Rover or Base set up, but they were correctly set up and were never inside!

I don’t think the antenna can point upwards can it? It is on a carbon fibre detail pole, not a drone. Does it say anywhere that the antennae must point upwards? On the photos/drawings on the start up guide the antennae are pointing downwards, if anything.

As stated in the OP, the Base did turn itself off, despite being charged, and me not touching it (it was 150m away).

not tried different settings as been waiting for advice.

Lora shouldn’t be an issue if only 150m from base?

I will try satellite groupings next time I use the Reach, but to be honest I prefer a tape measure at the moment.

1 Like

Not talking about the lora antenna, but the GNSS antenna inside the RS+.

I think you have to go out with all the new knowledge you have acquired and try to set something up again, and then return with the ubx-logs. Then we can quickly see if your rover GNSS receiver is faulty or what is going on.

2 Likes

I will try and get a new set of data, will be a week or so, thanks

cool!

Hopefully it will work better for you next time!

Before you go out, be sure to read this: Placing GCPs in RTK mode | Reach RS/RS+

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.