FieldGenius for Android question with RS2

I use a base/rover setup with LORA for RTK (No NTRIP). I used the ReachView3 application to set the base to Single Average Fix for 2 minutes and then broadcast corrections. I always make a note of the Single Average Fix location and write it down or take a screen shot.

I noticed that FieldGenius records points and captures the Reference Measurement along with the rover geographic coordinates. However, the Reference Measurement geographic coordinates do not match the base Single Average Fix from ReachView3.

I contacted FieldGenius and they said the Reference Measurement information is received from Emlid receiver so they cannot say why it shows a different lat-long than when ReachView3 shows.

Is there a reason why? I would like to know and be able to explain to a prosecutor or client why they do not match? Or, do I have something setup incorrectly?

2 Likes

It’s been awhile, so just throwing things out. Seems FieldGenius (FG) would only be showing the ROVER’S coordinates (via ReachView via Bluetooth etc), not the BASE’S.

How would FG know the BASE’S Single Average Fixed coordinate from ReachView? It would have to be fed out from the base through ReachView to FG???

You may need to provide some screenshots to get better help. FG for Windows or Android?

1 Like

I use FG for Android. FG Tech Support said FG is not able to configure Emlid receivers, so it is set up through ReachView. The rover, of course, is getting base RTK via LORA. I would imagine the rover is constantly receiving corrections along with the base coordinates.

I’m wondering if FG is capturing the bases current position solution when the project is created, instead of being given the Single Average Fix?

They are close (the base position used by FG and the Average Fix used by ReachView) but can be off by 15 to 20 feet on different projects. I use Emlid RS2 for mapping crime scenes and crash scenes on the roadways.

The things that prevent me from only using ReachView are:

1. FG allows me to capture Offset shots, both in-line, and perpendicular. This allows me to capture building corners and shots under building canopies and bus shelters where I cannot get a direct Fix solution.

2. FG allows me to use a premade point list to cut down on typing between points.

3. FG allows me to attach photos to a point so I can show the control points or special pieces of evidence.

If ReachView included these features, I would not need FG.

Ted

4 Likes

That’s why we have 3rd Party apps such as FG. It’s full-featured an specialized… Emlid ReachView will never get to this level unless they took that approach. I think ReachView should have a little more standard features more than just set up though as you mention in the SURVEY portion. i.e. also Localization needed DESPERATELY after sooooooooooooooo many years now.

Seems FG should just be capturing the ROVER data ONLY, NOT the base… that is handled before FG in ReachView (and via LoRa communication).

2 Likes

@timd1971 I just don’t know why the survey report from FG shows a Reference Lat-Long that is the same for every observed point, and it does not exactly match the base location. It’s curious and no one seems to know.

Ted, I use FGA also, but with NTRIP provided corrections so I haven’t done a Base/Rover setup in awhile. Maybe try delaying the startup of FGA until after you have established your Single Average Fix in Reach and then start your project in FGA. Hopefully that way it will report the Single Average Base Fix postion to FGA instead of the position when first starting up. It would be nice to know when exactly is FGA receiving the Base’s position.
Regards, Mark

1 Like

Hi Ted,

I have some questions to clarify your workflow:

We have Average Fix and Average Single options to place a base. How exactly are you setting up the base?

Do you set up a coordinate system in the FD project? Which one do you use?

What format do you use for position streaming - ERB or NMEA-0183?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.