Do both reach modules need to be on the same wi-fi connection?

Maybe a silly question but doc do not say. Also when I push the update button it tells me internet connection lost?

Thanks
Jim

Jim, if you want to transfer corrections over wi-fi they need to be on the same network.

After update you need to refresh the page.

Thanks Igor
It did make sense after I thought about it
Jim

1 Like

Hi friends.

But, if the Base is separated 5 Km (for example) from Rover, how to get the same network?

Regards…

You need to use Ntrip over computer with a modem at rover end. Or radio that will send that far.
JIm

Thanks Jim for your prompt response,

But, could you be more specific, because, I am completly new in that matter, so, I still no intended anything with NTRIP. What must I buy or install in order to have the complete system?

Thanks, again.

Hello Jorge

You can find ntrip software in the internet that needs to be used for your base this one for example,
http://lefebure.com/
and then you need a device with a data p[lan at your rover end of things.

Jim

So if the base and the rover share the same wifi network from my mobile phone its separation is limited to the wifi range obviously. I suspect in line of sight the distance wouldn’t be much more than 200m? Can we still get good cm accuracy at this distance? Is the accuracy improved by more distance or less? What distance gives the best accuracy.

I am no expert but, as long as you have a good wifi connection you will get good results as long as the base has good co-ordinates entered. I don’t believe distance matters too much untill you get out to about 10km from the base, then the errors get larger.
Jim

Base and Rover don’t have any problems being close together. 10 km is an empirical distance, which depends on the conditions. Mostly, the quality will simply gradually deteriorate the further you move away from the base, but the 10 km is where it usually becomes very noticeable. In static mode, that distance can be higher.

You can also connect rover and base with a radio.

Thanks for the clarification. I just wonder though if we are constantly moving from one location to the other how to get an accurate coordinate setting for the base? I know of a location where there are some accurate GPS pillars I can use to check the accuracy, however these pillars are around 100klm away from where we need to set the base at. How are others get accuracy for the base coordinates?

It depends how accurat you need it to be. Do you ned relative position of rover to base or absolute?
You could log a singel station for a long period of time and average out several point made over period of days.
Or you could use ntrip provider, some is free.

Thank you for your input.

I would like to get the altitude accuracy around 30cm or less at least if that’s possible. Currently we have alt accuracy fluctuations between 90cm to 1.5m. For doing quarry and stock pile volume surveys the altitude can change the volume reports quite a lot with this level of error.

This is one of 5 samples of the government GPS pillars I can use to check the accuracy of the Reach against. The 5 pilars are at the same site and spread apart by about 100m each
Lat Long Elipsoidal Hight (m)
2.274781° 102.286653° 19.737

And this is one location we survey which is around 80klm from the pillars

3.063707° 101.822890° 80.00

If the Reach reads them accurately at the pillars with same readings which I assume it will, how could I use that to assist to improve data accuracy at the survey site later on?

I think you would have to set your base on one of those pillars and have access to internet and ntrip software to use them at your location, I dont think radios will reach 80km. You could set your reach up at the location on a solid point and let it gather data and post process that point and use it as your base point for that area then its all relative.

Jim

Post process base and rover (static) and do it several times to get different satellite geometrie and verify a continuous position as stated aboveby jim and efedorov. This is a long shot since the distance is way over 10km, but other have been lucky in large distance from base line. With this method you dont need any radios and if it works, rover will give you a new known point with coordinates to work from.
Another way is to use a ntrip provider, use cell phone as hotspot and correction data via internet/gsm . It also need to be a service that uses VRS.
Unless you have the knowledge to calculate av virtual base close to your rover on the fly, and i guess not. Working with your own ntrip solution over radio/internet is no good solution. RTK doesnt work accurate over 10km and your limit is 10km

Well, thats how i understand reach works. Please correct me if im wrong.