Datum in Pix4D

Link to bring in a separate, but related post that will be carried on here.

To comment on that post Emlid Reach as well as almost all GNSS receivers natively record data in the WGS84 Geodetic coordinate system. In most cases third-party software then allows for the use of Cartesian and/or local coordinate systems.
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/natureofgeoinfo/c2_p10.html

Reachview as the native Emlid software does not currently provide the ability to use Cartesian coordinate systems. I believe the number one software typically recommended here is MicroSurvey FieldGenius which has Windows Mobile and now Android versions. I would highly recommend the Android version. In my opinion the biggest advantage to a survey software of this type is the localization feature which basically removes the need for a globally absolute accurate base point in terrestrial surveying, but also allows the use of surface (ground) coordinates which are YXZ that are not a perfect translation of Geodetic to Cartesian.

Accurate WGS84 coordinates are still required for aerial mapping unless you have design software on the backend that can align Cartesian grid coordinates to surface coordinates. In order to be able to use Cartesian coordinates for GCP’s in aerial mapping they have to be grid, or a direct transformation from WGS84.

1 Like