Connection to GCS over USB?

Hi,

I just found this thread which asks similar questions How to use the Navio? - #31 by Mathieu and yes WiFi is and option, but the problem is you have to tell the autopilot which PC you want to connect to and vice versa. A wired connection like Pixhawk would be much easier but it appears it’s not possible unless I want to make a cable with two USB-UART interfaces back to back. But even two UARTS back to back are a pain as you have to configure the baud rates and to do that you need a connection.

To be honest WiFi would be much better if you didn’t have to tell the autopilot what PC you wanted to talk to. Infact it’s worse than that it’s an IP address so if you change network or your network isn’t set to give you the same IP address on each connection then you will have to change the config file every time. In short I don’t find Wifi that convenient.

To make matters worse it seems /etc/default/arduplane wont tolerate domains like Users-PC.localdomain. It only accepts an IP address. Mission Planner, Q Ground Control, the Raspberry Pi itself and obviously the PC will all tolerate these domain names but not Arduplane.