Connection setup issues

Hi Liudmila,
Can I confirm that the Base should have No correction input and should be swithed off.
Likewise the Rover should have no Base mode settings turned on.

If setting up your own base/rover combination normally you are correct. This will let you do an average single base location. After it averages its position it will start transmitting RTCM correction data to where you told it to, LoRa radio for example. On your rover set it up to receive via LoRa and within a minute it should go to a fix status.

Since I have a free to me CORS NTRIP Caster with surveyed in base locations, I use correction input on my base so it gets RTK Fix for my base position averaging (Average fix). This just makes my base location more accurate with where it is actually at on the ground.

2 Likes

This is one of the things that I have failed to understand or at least take advantage of. So you are setting up your base with correction input via NTRIP and output via LoRa? I can see this being useful in areas where I am on the edge of coverage and may lose it at the bottom of valleys where radio my be better than cellular. What advantages have you found on this versus a point that was shot in for the base and manual entering?

I have never had a surveyed point for a base on a job site. The closer I can get it to actual position, the easier it is to find the tile 10-20 years later. Again, all of my work is relative. I am not doing any “true” surveys. You might try it see how it works for you as a test.

To check the accuracy of what I do, as a test, I setup my RS2 base using a 5 minute RTK average via Ohio CORS network over a surveyed point with known data. My LAT/LON was +/- .000001 (sorry I forget how many decimal places now, it was either 7 or 8. My elevation was off by my height of instrument as I hadn’t entered it. Made me a believer in the accuracy of both OH CORS and the Emlid RS2

2 Likes

I do run into a few issues when I get further west in Central Texas and the lake and the hills will start messing with the signals. I can set up my base at a position that I can still contact the CORS but I am almost certain to lose cellular but as long as the base is in the right location I can use radio for RTK.

1 Like

Hi James,

If we talk about the RTK-link between two Reach RS2, then yes. The base unit needs to have Correction output on. The rover should have Correction input switched on.

Base mode needs to be configured on the base unit only.

Hi Liudmila,
I have tried a couple sites this week using the LoRa radio setup with no success. Can these units achieve a FIX solution with the LoRa radio.?
I only ever see Single.?

1 Like

That usually means that all of your settings don’t match between the base and rover or you are not getting radio reception at all. It’s easy to overlook air data rates and LoRa frequencies so special attention to the rover correction input and the base mode output tabs. I would send Emlid support an email with the system report for both receivers and they will be able to tell very quickly if that is an issue.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael good call.

Michael.
What I don’t understand is that my Rover is receiving corrections so they must be connected.I have gone through the setting a thousand times.!!

Did you do an average location for your base or manual input?

1 Like

Average Location

Back out today to try and get to the bottom of this issue.
In the field . 2 RS2 units next to each other. Receiving over LoRa radio corrections but still on Single status.!! Rover on 34 Sat’s. Base on 19 Sat’s. !!!
Has any one got any ideas.?

Can you post a few screenshots from ReachView 2’s status screen?

Do mean age of corrections on the rover? 1.3sec
I have tried all average single , float and fix.
One thing that does seem strange when in the Base it says rover in the status of Sat’s. But I think it always does that for the Base.

Check your baseline length. 5000+ km.

Check your base coordinate in Base Mode in your Base unit.

1 Like

What Am I looking for in that field. There are no option apart from input modes?

Try running the average single just for a minute, on the base