Can M2 run 24/7?

Hello, @DirtyHarry

Perfect.
Very good your cooperation.
I’ve already put it on my list of improvements to my system.

Thank you for the tip.

For those who work the M2 base 24/7 what kind of antenna do you use?
Also I would like to ask if i connect the antenna like shown in the photo

is it ok with the rain? Will it damage anything if it rains?
I am using the extension 2m cable i bought from emlid store.

4 Likes

Hello @vgo195 ,
I used this antenna because of the multipath of the models similar to yours

5 Likes

I wouldn’t use that antenna design on anything but drones. It accepts too much signal from below 0 degrees.

This is beneficial for drones, that tilts and rolls. But the opposite on a fixed installation where a classic GNSS antenna will perform much better.

As a side note, that chimney (especially) and the trees will give a suboptimal recover environment for a base station.
For the base you need all the signal and says you can get. Imagine your rover blocked on the opposite side in the field. Now you don’t have either side. Your results will be less accurate as a direct result.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. This is not the permanent site for the base.
It was just a quick base setup for testing.
I think I must get a decent antenna and use this instead of the helical.

1 Like

4 Likes

Loving the dome! :smiley:

1 Like

yeah. theres a rain water stock at the top of the cover.

1 Like

Water is the enemy of RF-signals, so you might get rid of that small city reservoir :wink:
May I suggest heating the plastic carefully with a heat gun, then pressing the antenna against it while still hot. That should shape it better.

2 Likes

Is plastic fully transparent to GNSS waves ?

1 Like

the antenna case itself is plastic

2 Likes

If the forecast is for rain and I’m doing static observations, I use Ziploc bags for our receivers. Been using them at least 20 years. We don’t work in the rain. I don’t work in the rain… office surveyors will melt if they get wet.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell if this antenna
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393668369914
is compatible with the M2?

1 Like

Hello,
I used this film to protect my antenna from bad weather.

1 Like

From the specs it looks very good for the price, but what I would personally look for is a guarantee that the antenna has been lab tested and entered in the IGS database. That’s a sine qua non.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.