Best settings for base mode

Hi @baldur.norddahl,

Generally, I agree with Christian, Michael, and @PotatoFarmer. However, I would add some comments on the discussed questions:

Will I get faster fix if I had 10 Hz instead of 1 Hz?

I want to emphasize that the update rate only defines how often the receiver calculates its position per second. It doesn’t affect the time-to-fix.

If Emlid reads this, please make it possible to update the Reach RS2 without wifi or usb.

Firmware updates are usually heavy and capacious. In that case, the Wi-Fi connection is more reliable. That’s why we haven’t got the support of updates via mobile data.

How about elevation and SNR settings? What is the best setting for a RS2 in base mode? Is it better to lower the filters to get more satellites and then the clients can filter the ones that are not good enough?

The elevation mask filters the satellites by their height above the horizon. The SNR mask filters the noisy signals. Elevation and SNR masks allow excluding satellites with a poor signal that might affect the solution in a bad way.

Our default recommendation is setting the elevation mask to 15 and the SNR mask to 35. However, sometimes it may be useful to change these values. For example, if there are not enough data to calculate a fixed position, you can set a lower elevation mask to track more satellites. In another case, if there are too many noisy signals, you may increase the SNR mask.

1 Like