Basic Workflow for a Newbie?

I too had quite some trouble achieving fixes. I have had much better luck since turning my output signal strength down to 16db. The other observation as you mentioned in my area is that we seem to have some GLONASS interference as related to the Reach receivers. I’ve never had an issue with my Topcon, but that is the first constellation I turn off to troubleshoot. My normal congregation is GPS/GLONASS/Galileo/SBAS. There again in my area I do not see much confidence in QZS. Otherwise my setup is typical to their base/rover setup video except for the fact that with those constellations on I have to run the 18.3 kb/s airspeed. You can always have more constellations on for the base, watch the SnR status on the Rover screen and turn off the weakest constellation on the Rover to see if that gets fixed.
As for verifying a float accuracy I use Topcon Magnet Field so I could shoot the point for two minutes, back for a second and then stake that point out.This is now accomplishable in the new version of Reachview! If my stakeout of the point was not acceptable then I would reshoot the point and stake again. This could be fruitless, but in my experience I would consistently get within 0.2’ which is fine for my drone work. At least I wasn’t washed-out if I couldn’t get a fix. Once I have set the GCPs I always check back in to my first point. Once that network is set then that project is good as long as I got my points in areas that wouldn’t get disturbed. My drone surveys are then repeatable.
My last hiccup that I am working through with Emlid is that now I am achieving fixes regularly and the Topcon system won’t let me shoot. Something in the communication between the Reach and Topcon software, but I can see the I have a fix and that the coordinates are not moving so I just record it from what I see on screen until we figure it out. I stick with this setup because my end goal is for each of our 30 crews to have their own base/rover and the ability to use the same software which allows us to view our CAD file linework for the project. This would increase our survey labor efficiencies by a huge percentage because it would remove the need to drive for 30-60 minutes to lay out 10 points or replace something that has gotten knocked out.

1 Like