Base station keep show Float status

We are using the Reach RS2+ as base station for long time, where it send the location to Emlid Caster service.
Recently we was doing work at two different Golf courses. For some reason the Base station didn’t work there, it was getting very long time to get fix and loss that after seconds.
So, we are wondering if you know what it might effect the NMEA system to get the correction? is there any type of signals might effect the system?

FYI: we are using the same configuration for all our project.

2 Likes

I just flew a golf course with about 270ft of relief and the network was pretty sketchy. I ended up using the local NTRIP caster. When the base is setup and shot in we go to a checkpoint for that hole and then start the drone systems.

1 Like

I am sorry @michaelL, I might did not get your point. Do you also got a hard time using base station at the golf course?

Correct. The first attempt was with the RTK network which was pretty good but sketchy enough that I wasn’t comfortable flying the drone with it.

Switching to the local NTRIP really only relies on the Rover being able to get the RTK network or a Lora connection from the base to set the base point and it is much easier to maintain the fix. If you can’t set a point for the base.

There are other options to accurately collect it, but you’ll start getting into a lot of other processing. It’s probably a lot easier than it seems to me because I’ve never done it, but the workflow we are developing now is so easy despite little bugs here and there.

More specifically to the Rover. A local base with lora would not have worked either because of the amount of elevation changes.

Hi Zaher,

What do you use as a rover? I didn’t fully get it.

Any chance you have raw data logs from that project? They would help me understand if the data was affected at all. Or maybe it was the Internet-related issue.

Hi @svetlana.nikolenko,

for rover, I am using reading the output correction through NTIP caster. But my issue, is the RS2 base station is not getting fix at some of golf courses for some reasons, for that I am confusing about what it might effect the RS2 to get to fix status. Is there any way help to analyze the issue?

FYI: the base station mostly works very well, without any problem except those two golf courses.

Hi Zaher,

Oh, I initially thought you had Float on the rover. That’s why I asked about it.

So, your Reach base is connected to some NTRIP service and can’t get Fix, right? It’s also important because issues with getting a Fix may be related to the type of connection, for example. And I need to see the full picture to analyze it.

Yes, it is. Please record raw data, base corrections, and position log for 10-15 minutes. Let’s start with checking if satellites or correction data are affected somehow at all.

1 Like

Hello @svetlana.nikolenko,

Thanks for helping, I will try to that next time, we go there.

1 Like

I found that base station recorded data from last time, but they are BUX format. What is the best way for you to share the files.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Zaher,

UBX format is also fine! But this is only raw data log, right?

You can send them to support@emlid.com. If they are too big, you may upload them to WeTransfer or Google Drive.

Yes, they are Raw data. I just sent them by WeTransfer.
I have the other data if you want them.

Thanks

Hi Zaher,

I received the email, thanks! But if you have other data, please send it too. I’d like to check the full batch of logs: raw data, base corrections, and position.

Ok, I will download the reset of the data and shared with you.

Sincerely,
Zaher Abd Ulmoula.

Hi Zaher,

Do you always use the same NTRIP service and mount points?

The only thing I noticed is that the NTRIP service doesn’t transmit L2C signals. So it basically calculates a solution from L1 frequency only. And it may be not enough for Reach RS2.

Thanks for your help.
Two days ago, I changed the NTRIP service, yesterday I was testing it, but how can I know if the new service is better? If it is using L2C signals?

Thanks,

You can record Base corrections log and send it to me. I’ll help you check if it records L2C.

Or if you don’t have access to it anymore, the provider should know if it supports L2C.

I just add three files to the same Google drive folder, the one I sent last time by email. From yesterday running, I didn’t have any problem with data yesterday. Please, let me know if it is better. This point are from SNIP opensource RTK caster.
I have another question, do you think is it better to run it without input correction?

Again thanks, your help is great.
Zaher

Hi Zaher,

This base doesn’t seem to track L2C either. But I see you had a Fix. Did you work on a golf course?

I have another question, do you think is it better to run it without input correction?

As I got, you connect the base to an NTRIP service before the survey to average its position in a FIx. This way helps you obtain absolute accuracy. Without this, you’ll have relative accuracy. If you’re ok with that, you can work without correction input.

1 Like

Thanks for your help and explaining.

Feel free to ask any questions!