Base Fixed, Pixhawk Rover Doesn't Fix

Base does not need to stay in FIX. Positioning mode of the base does not matter at all after its coordinate has been determined. Average fix in base mode is just a method to determine the position, which is a one-time operation. Base position is not updated over time.

It is very hard for me to imagine that a fix on base might have any effect on the rover ability to get fix. Only reasonable explanation is that the NTRIP service that you are using is supplying coordinates of its base not in WGS84 coordinate. In that case your base position will be way off and that could slow down fix on your rover.

If you determine the base position with ā€œaverage singleā€ and then with ā€œaverage fixā€ from your NTRIP. How far would they be? It should not be more than a couple of meters.

1 Like

Sidux, I might try your workaround idea just for fun when I get a chance at the field, but it shouldnā€™t give different results. We might be surprised, but it helps to narrow down the problem. Since Average Fix just averages for a time period to figure out the coordinates of the Base, it might be a good idea to repeat the averaging as the Base sits static in the open. Maybe I can get a better Base Fix? Going to try this and report the results on Rover.

Hi Igor thanks for lending your expertise. The NTRIP I am using does send WGS84 reference frames and is used by Scientists and NASA to study the earth. The Base stations are all Trimble equipment and setup by Trimble. Iā€™ll try out what you suggested and also try to repeat Average Fix when the Base sits for awhile to see if I can get a better Base Fix. Will report back.

@Simon Not trying to question the quality of the NTRIP that you are using :slight_smile: Just throwing in some ideas and potential explanations.