Accuracy in stakeout

Hi i have an emlid reach RS2+ and reach rx im having problems with stakeout
i put the RS2+ as a base and reach rx as rover. i connect them with ntrip caster then i let the base average for 5 min the base and rover go to FIX mode. i put several points and then stakeout does points. but when i turn off all the equipment and come back the next day. i put the base in a different spot and do it all over again in fix mode. when i stakeout the coordenates , they are off and in other spots. can i get any help with this?

Hi ajexgood.

For a precision Base/Rover RTK workflow, your base needs to be set up on a known benchmark or establishing a point with a RTK, PPK, or PPP workflow. Simply averaging observations with the base for some time is not sufficient to provide precision better than a couple of meters.

Check out this tutorial on setting up your base for centimeter level precision.

1 Like

Are you setting the base up on a point that was collected during the first setup and telling it so in the base configuration? Or are you averaging a new point?

You need a common reference between sessions. It will never work and give you consistent measurements the way you did it.

Basically you will need a fixed point you can set your base over every time you go to the site. You should write down the coordinates of the first averaging and enter these values as a manual base position everytime you return.

Only then will you be able to measure and stake out in the same reference frame.

Ok I will safe the base coordinates and I can also leave a mark for that point.but if I loose the base mark and I enter the coordinates manually, is the base (RS2+) going to tell me were is the mark on the field?

Also if I go to a client to stakeout some points and I have the points coordinates but don’t have the base coordinates for that project. How can I stakeout the points precisely?

Thanks

This goes into general surveying knowledge, I don’t know what your proficiency level is but there are two ways to do it. Either your base receives a position correction over the internet (this is usually with a paid NTRIP service), or you can tie your project to an existing geodetic network, i.e. permanent survey markers. You need to find the coordinates for this marker, set your base over it, and use your rover to accurately place your own semi-permanent marker at the site.

I really suggest you get a mentor or certification because from what you told us, you’re starting from almost the beginning and you’ll struggle if you already are expected to deliver projects to clients.

3 Likes

Ok thank for the info, I’m actually in the university studying for land surveying I got the basics but bought the equipment to start learning.

5 Likes

When you collect a point you can go into base settings and select that point for occupation. It would be good practice to set yourself at least one point as you traverse that you can return to so that you can use the previous position as a checkshot.

@Gabriel_C I can’t seem to find the guide to navigating through the Flow menus to pick a project point for the base…

1 Like

Way to go :clap:

Hi there,

Just wanted to second comments above. As Dave said, the accuracy of the Average Single is about few meters only. To get more accurate position, you need to place the base in one of the following ways:

• On a benchmark with known coordinates
  • Get corrections from the NTRIP service and use Average Fix
  • Use PPP services or OPUS

If you need the points to be accurate just relative to each other, write down the averaged coordinates of your base and use them in future surveys. It’ll help keep all further measurements consistent.

P.S. Regarding Michael’s words, here is a post that can help you set the base position by choosing the point from the project. That’s also a great way to ensure the data match.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.