450mm quad build

##Wiring the ESCs and motors

Usually wiring motors to the ESC is fairly straightforward: connect three wires between them, black an red wires go to the battery and servo plug is connected to Navio+ for control.

In this project I am using a 4-in-1 Qbrain ESC, which packs 4 ESCs and makes for easier wiring. For a quad it eliminates any need in a PDB (power distribution board).

I really enjoy clean wiring and have decided to remove the cables that come with Qbrain. Motors have wires long enough to connect directly to the ESC. After I have desoldered the wires, connectors from them were removed and soldered directly to the PCB. Please note the insulating tape on top of the connectors. It is there to protect them from shorting when putting the ESC lid back.

Power from the battery does not go directly to the ESC, but rather passes through the power module. This will let us see voltage and current values in the GCS.

Here you can see how wires are attached with zip ties to the arms. Make sure that everything is properly fixed and will not fall off in flight.

4 Likes