3DroneMapping completes PPK trials

Hi Luke

Very interested in what you have been doing there with the UAV PPK setup. We have just acquired a Reach unit and are about to have it record raw camera positions via the hotshoe on a Sony Alpha a 6000. We will setup an old topcon GR3 as the base logging static data. Would you be able to share your reach settings for the roving UAV unit for PPK logging please ? Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Steve

Use GPS only at 14HZ. That’s all. The rest doesn’t matter as you are looking for raw data only.

1 Like

Hello Luke, may I have a question for you? I am new to this EMLID stuff and I just wonder… How do you solve the offset difference problem between projection center of anntena and center of a camera chip? Do you have to make some calibration flight using several GCPs, or is there another way? Any answer or clue will be highly appreciated. Thank you for your time and respond. Dex

Hey there Luke,

This is a great work to continue! keep it up.

I have a question, I have seen that you still carry those stick for ground points.
Do you think if this stick can be carried by a drone can make your work efficient?
Do you have in mind any possible innovation that could work?

Best,

Richard

We have the antenna directly above the camera center. We then manually subtract the difference from the heights later on from the final calculated values.

Ha ha! Funny one. If you have been doing survey for as long as I have, carrying a rod and tripod is part of your life. Often in the rural parts of Africa where I mostly work, you will find a team of guys to help carry your tools, lunch etc for a nominal fee.

ha ha that’s life. but I am serious. I am a product developer, I want to help surveyors pain points. If paying people will help employment for locals that’s a good thing. But in your long years of surveying what are the tedious work of a surveyor? e.g. map collection, identifying control points, calculation, etc?

Best,
Richard

I found a possible source of error, which I reported here: Event interpolation implementation issue . Since we fly parallel lines back and forth X,Y position error gets averaged, while the wrong timestamps of events affect only the Z position.

I’m here in this topic to update you that now we have our post-processing app - Emlid Studio. Follow this guide about Drone Data Processing to learn how to geotag photos easily.

If you face some questions, feel free to create a new thread!