Question about using Reach

I’m trying to understand/clarify a thing.

BASE can get cm accuracy by itself? Or I need to use ROVER paired with BASE?

My particular application is to measure certain points in field (GCP). Trying to understand if ROVER will have to be moved to the respective points and snap the coordinates (while connected to base) or I can just move BASE around and snap coordinates.

Base as you describe is just one of many function or mode you can use it as.
If you have one Reach unit connected to your phone or a similar hotspot with internet connection, you can have correction data sent to you and have reach measure with cm accuracy.
You could also use a second unit send correction if its placed over a known point.
Correction data could be sent over UHF.
But as you describe it, reach is capable to this job just fine

1 Like

@TB_RTK gave you a specific answer. Mine is more general:

The accuracy of RTK processing essentially comes from the differential measurement between:

1. the first (base) GNSS antenna at a known location (longitude-latitude-height, etc.),
  2. and a second (rover) GNSS antenna at the unknown location

Both of these antennas must be receiving the same signals from the same satellites at the same time. So, yes, you need a base and a rover working together, simultaneously, to get the accuracy of RTK.

However, you could just use a rover by itself and let a third party (commercial, government, university) provide you with corrections from their base GNSS antenna(s).

Have we answered your question well enough?

1 Like

Yes, thank you guys. This cleared it up!

How do I hook up the rover with the third party corrections? Is there documentation regarding this?

I don’t use these myself, but there are several postings on this in the forum about people doing so. Search keywords NTRIP and CORS here and on the internet.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like