Looking for some basic help/explanation of post processing (NRC)

Hi David,

If you haven’t already, I’d check out the following post by @EarthImage: 24hr Reach Collect : NRCan PPP results

Peter presents the results of some of his extended duration surveys with the Reach and compares them to those obtained by an L1/L2 receiver. To sum things up, the Reach generally appears to be limited to a horizontal accuracy of 15-30 cm when post-processing with PPP. I believe this is due mainly to the fact it’s only a single frequency (L1) receiver. While L1 data can work with NRCan’s PPP tool, ideally you’d have a dual frequency receiver that can obtain information on the carrier wave, which would allow you to account for the effects of the ionosphere.

I recently conducted a 5h40m survey with the Reach and my PPP results showed a horizontal accuracy of 24-33 cm and a vertical accuracy of 58 cm. Granted, I wasn’t able to verify this against a known point, so who knows if it’s truly accurate. As I don’t current have access to a survey-grade L1/L2 receiver to establish a known point, I’ve been trying to find a ground control marker recently surveyed in by the government or a surveying firm, but they appear to be pretty scarce in my part of the province!

Cheers,
Adam