Emlid Reach reports false "fix" datapoints

I second bide’s assessment. The strategy should be to attempt a settings adjustment to force the system to be more picky about what it calls a fix. Yes, this will likely produce more floats but could also simply prevent any point from being produced. Also, I add the following.

RTKEXPLORER has a nice discussion about RTKLIB’s various settings. Most of these are not accessible via ReachView. Also, the blue text represent setting only available with RTKEXPLORER’s version as I understand it.

I have listed some of my own settings that have worked in the past for the original RTKLIB. Again some of these are not availble for adjustment in ReachView.

Filip, my reaction to your image having worked with RTK systems of all types is that it looks very good!. RTK systems allow for centimeter level precision, for example some units report 0.02 meters 2DRMS. This means 95% - 98% of points produced, assuming a FIX, will land within a 0.02 meter radius circle. Conversely 2%-5% may fall outside that circle, but hopefully not TOO FAR outside. A FLOAT FIX will be less precise, but can be surprisingly accurate at times. For example, I see that some of the black points look to be very much inline with the green points.

Filip, I also agree with your assessment, these are false fixes in the sense that the system thresholds failed to filter sources of possible errors. All units are capable of these but in my experience the higher cost units tend to do a better job tuning these out. In my opinion the false fixes are not a software or hardware issue, but simply an artifact of the difficulties associated with RTK solutions.

2 Likes