Building a module

Thanks for posting that back, it’ll be useful for others searching. It’s a while since I went through that process as the main reason I wanted to compile a module was to support a new AC600 USB WiFi adapter for “mesh” mode networking. But after all the effort discovered the state of the open source code base prevented usage of the features I wanted. It was impossible to track-down official vendor versions, just people’s own hacks here and there.

Some claimed it was the manufacturer’s fault, but from what I saw most of the source code was stock Linux code so that appeared to be lacking the features and stability more than the manufacturer’s policy for the device.

So realistically I think getting a WPA2 or at least basic WPA connection working with self-made drivers is achievable. But the advanced features appear to be disabled for most of them (I must have read like 100+ blogs at the time with people suffering the same limitation).

Not sure if that’s the fault of Linux or the driver. Basically the effort was way higher than it should be. It seems like almost all blog articles I found directed people to just buy a different WiFI adapter than bother to get it working or acknowledge the necessity for a fix in the central Linux code!

One important point you might have missed, unless you were compiling on an X86 machine. You are supposed to use the 64bit cross-compiler when cross-compiling on a 64bit machine. Strangely it will still work on distributions like Ubuntu 14 but not on 15. Try it, maybe it reduces errors, but it won’t add any and will ensure compatibility. It’s just a small change in the tools path:

Anyway well done and I hope your WiFI adapter works better than mine :smile: